In Balance in Chemicals?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Pool User

In Balance in Chemicals?

Postby Pool User » Tue 10 Jul, 2007 11:18

I have two pools: First one the sides are stained green but I don't think it's algae, in fact, a pool company is telling me its from the heater, is that possible?

The second, I have copper looking stains around the floor filters, again, I'm being told that its a chemical in balance that they can't fix.

If anyone has any insight on this, please reply!

Postby Guest » Tue 10 Jul, 2007 20:09

They certainly could be copper stains. First check to make sure there's no scale on the walls. If there is, the walls will be very rough and have what appears to be little crystals all over it. Scale is more noticable when it gets dirty which can look like staining. But its not the pool that's stained, it's just the scale, which can be removed by lowering your pH to 6.8 - 6.9 for a few days while brushing with a stainless steel brush. If there is no scale and it is copper staining of the actual plaster, try Jack's Magic Stain Solution #2 and Jack's Safe Shock. A pool service pro should perform this. If that doesn't work the pool will need to be acid washed, which can not be guaranteed to completely remove all the staining but will definitely help.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 10 Jul, 2007 21:09

Green is either Algae or Copper. If you are sure it isn't Algae then... ;)

Anonymous wrote:which can be removed by lowering your pH to 6.8 - 6.9 for a few days while brushing with a stainless steel brush.

If you do this, bypass the heater to avoid leaching MORE copper into the water.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”