Green Iron Water

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
law0414

Green Iron Water

Postby law0414 » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 14:28

Well we finally have a pool to swim in. Had city water delivered today and it is crystal clear. My advice to all home owners with wells that have high iron content - don't waste your time and money. Get the water delivered. It took a total of 20 minutes to fill pool and saved me considerable aggravation.

Thanks to all for your efforts to clear up the well water.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Green Iron Water

Postby Backglass » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 15:11

Now, stay on top of it and you wont have any problems again.

Remember that you will need to add metal removing products from time to time as you "top off" with the hose from your well water.

How much was the water delivery by the way?
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
law0414

Green Iron Water

Postby law0414 » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 19:39

Water delivery was $150. Expensive but worth it. And when I used the vacum today I put the hose through the window to the kitchen sink so that I wouldn't add any iron from the outside water tap.

Getting smarter as I go. When I took a water sample after the pool was filled out all the levels were good. I haven't added anything. Chlorine and PH was perfect. Which is kind of scary in a way.

I will check it every day for a while to make sure levels don't drop off. We are having a heat wave here.
drgayle

we use metal free in our well water..works great

Postby drgayle » Thu 19 Jul, 2007 20:55

We had years of trouble with iron , etc. in the water...and found metal free product was the only thing that worked BECAUSE you did not need to bring the water chlorine level down to .5. It works with full chlorine. Our pool is very blue now....
mamcwifey
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Re: No changes yet

Postby mamcwifey » Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:58

law0414 wrote:I went to my local pool store and this was there advice. They told me to double shock the pool with chlorine shock and put 1 cup of stabilizer in the pool inside a nylon stocking and to tie the stocking to the ladder. He said this would keep the chlorine levels in the pools high. Apparently the chlorine at some point will get rid of the iron. Then just keep changing/cleaning filter as often as possible. Said would take about 4 days to get clean water. Last night I did the double shock and nylon stocking. This morning chlorine levels really high and water very green - can't see through it at all (worse than before). Filter is dark brown after only a few hours so I keep trying for a few days and hope for some improvement. If after 4 days no improvement I'm thinking I will empty pool and have water delivered from the city.
Hope this helps all in the same situation.

Wow... Sounds like you were steered in the wrong direction. As chemgeek said, the Cl will not get rid of the iron. You definitely need something to remove it. The key indicator of metals in your water is the clear green appearance of the water. I'm not surprised that after adding more Cl your water appeared worse. The green is a result of the reaction b/w the Cl and the iron. You should be able to find a store that has some mineral remover. Once you clear that up, you should have no problem getting/keeping the water clear!
:)
*mamcwifey
gouldie

Green Iron Water

Postby gouldie » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 10:57

For those of you with green (or better yet, orange) water - don't give up on the Metal Out or other chelating/sequestering agents. They may take a few days, but they will work.

Our pool is also filled with well water. Last year it was so green we couldn't see more than 18 inches. We also had a sand problem because we used the irrigation well (not the house well) which has sand in it. After about four days and six bottles of Iron Out the water finally cleared.

At the end of the year we emptied the pool. This year we filtered and used Iron Out prior to putting the water in the pool. We put the water from the well in to a large horse tank. We added Iron Out to the horse tank and used two small pumps to filter the water before it got to the pool. The end result was much better. We still have green water, but we can see to the bottom of the pool, and we don't have a sand problem at all.

Last year we didn't let the kids swim until the water was clear, not because we were worried about the water being "dirty", but because we couldn't see the kids when they were under water. This year we can see them so we are letting them swim. We add the chelating agents at night.
carolnh

Green Iron Water

Postby carolnh » Sun 05 Jun, 2011 18:02

Hi
trying this again from my phone. I hope it doesn't result in a double post. I have this problem every year with our 16ft Intex pool. After shocking it become :roll: s brown. You cannot see to the second rung of the ladder! The solution is to keep. Ph at 7.6 or higher and add metal remover (phoenix super erase is the best that I have used). Follow package directions and clean filters at least 3 times per day. We "jerryrig" another old 8ntex filter system until it clears-usually a week and a half. I end up with crystal clear water. Dpnt let neighbprs seexthey will hound you to take care of their pool-for free of course! I clean and reuse the old filters during this process. Also stay on top of your ph. Expect to use at least two bottles of metal remover. The
Cheap stuff from Wally world does not seem to work very well.
countrygirl

Green Iron Water

Postby countrygirl » Sun 03 Jul, 2011 15:10

I had the same problem with my pool filled with well water. Took 4 bottles of metal out and finally clear water. Went away for 5 days, left filter running on timer for 6 hours a day came home to gross green water......now I don't know if it is metal problems (still) or algae problems. Should have paid to have water delivered....
cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Green Iron Water

Postby cpo2go » Wed 20 Jul, 2011 02:38

The chlorine has nothing to do with it.
Metals in the water need to be removed with a good "metal out" type of agent. Many are recommend here. I like the one made by Sea Klear. After using this you have to clean your filter as the tiny metal particles are caused to bind together into bigger ones which get trapped in the filter. Once the metals are trapped in the filter, and the filter is cleaned, the metals are out of the water for good. Maintaining it at that point should be routine.
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.
manster64

Green Iron Water

Postby manster64 » Sat 19 May, 2012 15:23

This works every time ----> We have well water that casues the color to be green / brown.. but you can NOT put in ANY Chlorine or shock until you get the metal out first. Simply buy the metal out at walmart and out that in the pool and then clean the filter every 2 - 4 hours until the pool is clear. ( a couple days ) You dont have to do it during the nite of course just start it in the morning and you will get results. Then when its clear get the tablets from walmart and put them in a floaty and you are all set for the summer
cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Green Iron Water

Postby cpo2go » Sun 20 May, 2012 14:09

Metal Removers are sold for specific and combinations of metals found in pool water. If you've had your water tested and you know which metals are present, use a metal remover that will trap those metals in your filter then clean the filter. This should fix the problem but it may take multiple doses/filter cleans to completely handle it.
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.
Cbanderm

Green Iron Water

Postby Cbanderm » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 08:31

We have had an 28' above ground with well water and sparkling clear water for 2 years until one day we decided to hold a pool party. :( it all went down hill from there. Long story short I think it's the metals in the sunscreen (as my family doesn't use sunscreen) that reacted with the chlorine causing our water to turn murky and colored. Still trying to figure out how to fix it. :/
mattmonth

Green Iron Water

Postby mattmonth » Tue 03 Jul, 2012 23:58

I was in water treatment for 2 years, i also have an intex pool and it also turned brown. This is an easy fix. In order to get rid of your problem without spending a ton of money is to go to your local hardware store and get a gallon of muratic acid. mix two cups in ten gallons of water and walk it around the pool pouring a little at a time as you go. This will not only clear your water up but balance your ph as well. Easy fix just dont swim for 24 hours.
mpw223

Green Iron Water

Postby mpw223 » Tue 17 Jul, 2012 14:58

mattmonth wrote:I was in water treatment for 2 years, i also have an intex pool and it also turned brown. This is an easy fix. In order to get rid of your problem without spending a ton of money is to go to your local hardware store and get a gallon of muratic acid. mix two cups in ten gallons of water and walk it around the pool pouring a little at a time as you go. This will not only clear your water up but balance your ph as well. Easy fix just dont swim for 24 hours.

Green Iron Water

Postby Guest » Tue 17 Jul, 2012 15:10

do you leave the filter going while your doing this

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”