Green Iron Water

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
gouldie

Green Iron Water

Postby gouldie » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 10:57

For those of you with green (or better yet, orange) water - don't give up on the Metal Out or other chelating/sequestering agents. They may take a few days, but they will work.

Our pool is also filled with well water. Last year it was so green we couldn't see more than 18 inches. We also had a sand problem because we used the irrigation well (not the house well) which has sand in it. After about four days and six bottles of Iron Out the water finally cleared.

At the end of the year we emptied the pool. This year we filtered and used Iron Out prior to putting the water in the pool. We put the water from the well in to a large horse tank. We added Iron Out to the horse tank and used two small pumps to filter the water before it got to the pool. The end result was much better. We still have green water, but we can see to the bottom of the pool, and we don't have a sand problem at all.

Last year we didn't let the kids swim until the water was clear, not because we were worried about the water being "dirty", but because we couldn't see the kids when they were under water. This year we can see them so we are letting them swim. We add the chelating agents at night.

carolnh

Green Iron Water

Postby carolnh » Sun 05 Jun, 2011 18:02

Hi
trying this again from my phone. I hope it doesn't result in a double post. I have this problem every year with our 16ft Intex pool. After shocking it become :roll: s brown. You cannot see to the second rung of the ladder! The solution is to keep. Ph at 7.6 or higher and add metal remover (phoenix super erase is the best that I have used). Follow package directions and clean filters at least 3 times per day. We "jerryrig" another old 8ntex filter system until it clears-usually a week and a half. I end up with crystal clear water. Dpnt let neighbprs seexthey will hound you to take care of their pool-for free of course! I clean and reuse the old filters during this process. Also stay on top of your ph. Expect to use at least two bottles of metal remover. The
Cheap stuff from Wally world does not seem to work very well.
countrygirl

Green Iron Water

Postby countrygirl » Sun 03 Jul, 2011 15:10

I had the same problem with my pool filled with well water. Took 4 bottles of metal out and finally clear water. Went away for 5 days, left filter running on timer for 6 hours a day came home to gross green water......now I don't know if it is metal problems (still) or algae problems. Should have paid to have water delivered....
cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Green Iron Water

Postby cpo2go » Wed 20 Jul, 2011 02:38

The chlorine has nothing to do with it.
Metals in the water need to be removed with a good "metal out" type of agent. Many are recommend here. I like the one made by Sea Klear. After using this you have to clean your filter as the tiny metal particles are caused to bind together into bigger ones which get trapped in the filter. Once the metals are trapped in the filter, and the filter is cleaned, the metals are out of the water for good. Maintaining it at that point should be routine.
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.
manster64

Green Iron Water

Postby manster64 » Sat 19 May, 2012 15:23

This works every time ----> We have well water that casues the color to be green / brown.. but you can NOT put in ANY Chlorine or shock until you get the metal out first. Simply buy the metal out at walmart and out that in the pool and then clean the filter every 2 - 4 hours until the pool is clear. ( a couple days ) You dont have to do it during the nite of course just start it in the morning and you will get results. Then when its clear get the tablets from walmart and put them in a floaty and you are all set for the summer
cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Green Iron Water

Postby cpo2go » Sun 20 May, 2012 14:09

Metal Removers are sold for specific and combinations of metals found in pool water. If you've had your water tested and you know which metals are present, use a metal remover that will trap those metals in your filter then clean the filter. This should fix the problem but it may take multiple doses/filter cleans to completely handle it.
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.
Cbanderm

Green Iron Water

Postby Cbanderm » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 08:31

We have had an 28' above ground with well water and sparkling clear water for 2 years until one day we decided to hold a pool party. :( it all went down hill from there. Long story short I think it's the metals in the sunscreen (as my family doesn't use sunscreen) that reacted with the chlorine causing our water to turn murky and colored. Still trying to figure out how to fix it. :/
mattmonth

Green Iron Water

Postby mattmonth » Tue 03 Jul, 2012 23:58

I was in water treatment for 2 years, i also have an intex pool and it also turned brown. This is an easy fix. In order to get rid of your problem without spending a ton of money is to go to your local hardware store and get a gallon of muratic acid. mix two cups in ten gallons of water and walk it around the pool pouring a little at a time as you go. This will not only clear your water up but balance your ph as well. Easy fix just dont swim for 24 hours.
mpw223

Green Iron Water

Postby mpw223 » Tue 17 Jul, 2012 14:58

mattmonth wrote:I was in water treatment for 2 years, i also have an intex pool and it also turned brown. This is an easy fix. In order to get rid of your problem without spending a ton of money is to go to your local hardware store and get a gallon of muratic acid. mix two cups in ten gallons of water and walk it around the pool pouring a little at a time as you go. This will not only clear your water up but balance your ph as well. Easy fix just dont swim for 24 hours.

Green Iron Water

Postby Guest » Tue 17 Jul, 2012 15:10

do you leave the filter going while your doing this
woo

Green Iron Water

Postby woo » Wed 18 Jul, 2012 16:13

Start with Conquest. Before using Conquest drop the clorine down to 1.0. Add Conquest and run filter for 24 hrs. Let pool sit for 24hrs. Vacuum on WASTE. Take filter apart and clean the panels with a hose. Re assemble filter and re-charge with earth. If this does not work then bring your PH up to 9.0+ circulate for 2 hrs and add 1 gallon on Muriatic Acid let cycle overnight. You will see a very quick change. Vacuum again on WASTE and clean the filter as you did before. Re charge filter and you should be good to go
Hhartwell

Re: Green Iron Water

Postby Hhartwell » Fri 29 Jul, 2016 19:44

I know this post is old, but we live in Massachusetts and have town water. Every year we fill our pool after adding chlorine it turns green. The filter is stained brown. I was to,d by the water department we have manganese in our water. We have tried metal put homemade poo, filters, everything. We've been swimming but the poo, is still green, but it's clear. Does anyone have any recommendations? TIA
Hhartwell

Postby Hhartwell » Fri 29 Jul, 2016 19:46

Hhartwell wrote:I know this post is old, but we live in Massachusetts and have town water. Every year we fill our pool after adding chlorine it turns green. The filter is stained brown. I was told by the water department we have manganese in our water. We have tried metal put homemade pool filters, everything. We've been swimming but the pool is still green, but it's clear. Does anyone have any recommendations? TIA
Mike09
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Mike09 » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 01:31

This article has helped me on my metal problems for my pool...
https://pstpoolsupplies.com/blog/how-to ... ool-water/

You may want to try it. :wink:
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 05:24

Cutting through the bullshit, those are sequerants and Do Not Remove Anything. Iron can be removed. Copper not as easily. RO is needed to remove the others.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”