Creepy white thingies in cartidge filter

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
schaargi
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: -Original Endless Pool (swim spa) with Performance propulsion
-Partially in-ground (outdoors)
-7 ft. x 14 ft., 42 inches deep, 2400 gallons
-Aluminum walls with vinyl liner
-Sanitized with cartridge filter, skimmer, silver ion sanitizer, floater with chlorine tabs.
-Temp averages 84 degrees F

Creepy white thingies in cartidge filter

Postby schaargi » Mon 30 Aug, 2021 21:54

Hi all,

I am a new owner of a new Endless Pool performance model (swim spa) and am just learning. Last week, my chlorine levels dipped, so I took out the cartridge filter to clean it and some white floaties wafted out behind it. I filmed the floaties and then went to rinse the cartridge with the garden hose. The stuff that rinsed out of the filter looked like something out of a horror flick to me (Bear with me -- I'm a new pool owner-- I got creeped out). :sick:

Description of the creepy white thingies: They were from 1/4 inch up to an inch wide. They didn't float on top of the water; they just made their way to the bottom of the pool. They looked like pieces of tissue paper in the water. When I tried to pick them up, they were fragile but had the consistency of boogers-- very mucous-like. It looked like mini albino stingrays. Yuck.

What I did: I have a backup cartridge filter so I went ahead and put that in while I was cleaning the icky one. I called a local pool guy and he thought it might be phosphates but questioned me as to whether any swimmers had been in open water or if there is a construction site nearby. He said that he had seen white mold when he worked in Florida but hadn't seen any in the years he has been in Colorado. I am the only one who swims in the pool and haven't been near any open water. I'm in an established neighborhood in suburbia. I keep my pool covered when I'm not in it. I swim 5-6 times a week.

He told me to superchlorinate. I did so, and the chlorine levels stayed high for about 5 days (above 5). The big white thingies are gone, but now I have a bit of cloudy water.

About my pool: My pool is 14 ft x 7 ft and 42 inches deep and it is outdoors (I'm in Colorado). I use chlorine (floating tablets) and then supplement it with chlorine crystals every week. I have been working with a guy at a local pool shop. After testing my water August 1, he saw my phosphates creep up and suggested a low dose of phosphate reducer and algaecide every week.

I test my chemical obsessively every day. They are pretty steady and typically right around the following numbers:

FC: 3
TC: 3
pH: 7.4
TA: 120
CH: 250
CYA: 30

I have a couple of pictures but haven't figured out how to post them to this forum (yet). I will figure it out-- I just wanted to get this out to everyone for ideas...

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Creepy white thingies in cartidge filter

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 31 Aug, 2021 02:05

Where you write a post
Click Full Editor & Preview
Click Attachments
Click Add Files or you can drag and drop

How are you testing, if you are using tabs and powder I would expect your CYA to be higher

Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
To reduce your CYA you have to do a partial drain and refill
Continuous use of Trichlor/Dichlor will raise your CYA which means you have to raise your chlorine level as wel

For a CYA of 30 you should be targeting a FC of 4-6 as indicated in your Chlorine / CYA Chart
Your superchlorinate of 5 is where your normal should have been. 12 is where it should be to Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) (You can safely swim up to SLAM level)

Forget about phosphates and algaecide. a properly chlorinated pool doesn't need them

I've no idea of those things in the water but just keep your chlorine up and they shouldn't be a problem
schaargi
I'm new here
I'm new here
-Sanitized with cartridge filter, skimmer, silver ion sanitizer, floater with chlorine tabs.

Postby schaargi » Tue 31 Aug, 2021 12:54

Thank you, Denniswiseman, for getting back to me! And thanks for the additional advice!

I am using a Taylor test kit. I might be a bit too thorough with the CYA test -- it says to keep dripping until I can't see the black dot anymore, so I was really looking for that little black dot. If I were a bit less neurotic about it, my CYA is probably closer to 50. I will get it tested today.

I am pretty stingy with the chlorine tablet-- I didn't want the CYA to get too high because I am chicken (sigh) and have relied on the powder every week. With the Taylor test kit, I can't tell how high the chlorine is if it is above 5-- the little lines don't go above 5 so I am guessing, depending on how bright the red is.

Regarding the algae and phosphate chemicals, Endless Pools have metal benches around the inside of the pool for the return current. I can't brush behind or inside them without draining the pool, so Endless Pools told me that I should add those chemicals.

I don't have access to the Full Editor as far as I can see. I set up an Instagram account for my pictures. Here is the link to the creepy white things: https://www.instagram.com/p/CTP1b5cFTBv ... hare_sheet
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 01 Sep, 2021 01:36

You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day and not just dumping shock in and thinking "that's it"
This will take your chlorine up as high as you need to read
Attachments
Add image.jpg
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 01 Sep, 2021 01:38

Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA

Liquid chlorine only adds salt
schaargi
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby schaargi » Wed 01 Sep, 2021 17:11

Thank you SO much! (and thanks for the screenshot -- I feel a little silly now)

I went to the spa/pool shop and my numbers, according to my test kit, are definitely off -- my phosphates are 3,700, CC=.4, pH=7.7. I will purchase a brand new test kit for next year as I will probably winterize this pool in a month. The pool/spa guy said I can come and get it tested as often as I want. He looked at the picture of the creepy white things and said it was probably white slime/white mold. He had a good way to describe it, saying white mold looks like pieces of skin.

He said white slime/mold can be difficult to get rid of but since I haven't seen the giant chunks in over a week it's a good sign. I need to shock the pool, keep on top of my chemical levels, and it should resolve.

Here are a couple of pictures in case someone in the future has this problem.
Attachments
white mucous from filter 8-22-21.png
white mucous from filter 8-22-21.png (240.43 KiB) Viewed 772 times
white mucous 8-22-21.png
white mucous 8-22-21.png (401.08 KiB) Viewed 772 times

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”