Return Hose comes off filter

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
kenigetit103

Postby kenigetit103 » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 12:45

We are new to the pool ownership. For 8 weeks we have not had any problems with our pool as we clean daily and test the pool water. The last three days we have tried to clean our pool, but when we attempt to clean the pool, the return hose that is attached to the filter comes off and water is discharges everywhere. We have tighten both clamps but the darn hose comes off. Any suggestions of what to do or what is causing the issue.

Postby Guest » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 00:18

anyone have an answer for this? i have similar problem with the hose connecting from pump to filter. the hose connected at pump keeps disconnecting. ive tightened but it seems to loosen.
litoq

Re: Return Hose comes off filter

Postby litoq » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 12:38

I'm a new pool owner as well and I recently set up my pool and filtration system. I don't have a problem with hoses coming off but they are leaking where they attach to the filter. No matter how much tightening or repositioning I do, the leaks don't stop. I don't think that these hoses that come with the filtration package are the right types of hoses to use...especially with hose clamps. They fit over the connections correctly but I don't think they provide a completely watertight seal like rubber hoses would (for example, radiator hoses in cars, etc.). I'm thinking of switching my hoses to high pressure rubber hoses then using the clamps. Not only would the rubber prevent slipping but it will also create a waterproof seal once clamped on. Just my 2 cents...
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 12:53

The only problem with using rubber hose, is they will collapse under suction (no suction in your radiator!). Thats why you need the ribbed/reinforced pool hose.

I had this same problem with my first above-ground pool. One Saturday the hose flew off again, soaking the pump motor and tripping the breaker. I hopped in the car and went to Home Depot, bought $20 worth of 1-1/2" PVC pipe & fittings, came back and hard plumbed it all. It took 30 minutes and I never had the problem again.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 13:11

<Duplicate. Don't know why. :?)
Litoq

Postby Litoq » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 13:48

Sounds like a great idea Backglass...never would have thought about the hose collapsing. Do they make ribbed/reinforced rubber hoses? Hard plumbing would probably also relieve the stress on the return fitting and skimmer as well. With the return hose hanging about 3' feet to the ground, it pulls on the return fitting which causes a little gap off the wall no matter how much I tighten it. It is also bending the wall slightly which can't be a good thing. Hard plumbing would probably look better also. Thanks so much for the idea!!
South TX Poolguy
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby South TX Poolguy » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 20:55

They make a rubber hose that is clear and you can see a mesh inside. I dont know what it is called but it is for pools. It is thicker than a radiator hose.

You could also plumb in the system with flexible pvc. Flexible pvc is not made for UV exposure but it will last up to five years above ground.

I have seen people use a beach umbrella to shade the equipment area. It will keep the pump cooler and lower sun fading and degration of materials. Just aim it and bungee cord it around the filter or something sturdy.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 20:59

Litoq wrote:With the return hose hanging about 3' feet to the ground, it pulls on the return fitting which causes a little gap off the wall no matter how much I tighten it. It is also bending the wall slightly which can't be a good thing. Hard plumbing would probably look better also.

Exactly! My skimmer finally hung level with the pool. And since everything is so close, you can buy a single piece of pipe and have plenty left over for goof-ups. And your right...it does look cool and has got to be more efficient as well.

Good luck!
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
singlelady poolowner

Postby singlelady poolowner » Sun 19 May, 2013 20:24

I am having trouble with my hoses busting apart wanted to put a different type of hose on last year I lost water and thought I would burn my pump up !! I am away all day so if something happens Im just out of luck it happen again today different hose from last year but the hoses aren't holding up and they are so long and so much pressure on them I took a bungie cord uphold them up and take pressure off of the hose
Jhydas
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex above ground

Postby Jhydas » Wed 29 May, 2019 08:42

My inlet hose comes off where it hooks to the pool there is no way to clamp it
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 29 May, 2019 10:42

Post a picture

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”