Heating pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
brianstark
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: a little above average size in-ground pool, multi-speed pump, 100 gallon DE filter.

Heating pool

Postby brianstark » Mon 07 Mar, 2022 13:50

I live in Southern California. I don't typically heat my pool as it gets warm enough in the summer and heating in the winter is costly, but our grand kids are visiting in a couple of weeks. The weather should be sunny with temps around 50/70 (low/high Fahrenheit).

I typically run my filter 6 hours a day. The pool uses a gas heater that seems to be pretty efficient, it heats the large size spa to 100 in about 30-45 minutes. In fact, when we first moved in some guests played with the controls put it in a configuration where the spa was in overflow mode, left it running overnight and ended up heating the pool up to 100! Nice first utility bill we got! The point is the heater is capable.

What is the best time of day to heat the pool and how long? Should I run the pool earlier in the morning and then just let the sun maintain the heat, or should I run the pump longer into the day? I just want to know if anyone has any tips.

Thanks,

Brian

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Heating pool

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 08 Mar, 2022 12:23

Brian don't confuse effective with efficient, your gas heater is effective.
Without knowing more about your pump, plumbing and filtration I couldn't possibly comment.
The point being if the system is off after 6 hours any dirt or leaves have 18 hours to sink and then how do you remove the stuff? How much you can remove has a lot to do with the filtration effectiveness. If you only turn the water over once in 24h then only around 63% of the water has been through the filter. Twice would be around 86% .
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”