White spots on bottom of pool liner?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Coronet

Postby Coronet » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 16:00

Hello I have had a 15 ft aboveground pool for two months. It has a vinyl overlap liner. I am starting to see white spots on the bottom of the pool. Any suggestios? Thanks!

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:22

When you shock or chlorinate, do you just throw the powder into the pool? If so...it's being bleached out by the particles settling before dissolving.

Either dilute your chemicals with water in a bucket first, or add through your skimmer with the pump running.

Postby Guest » Sat 14 Jul, 2007 11:32

I do mix in a bucket. Maybe I am not mixing it enough. Will the spots damage the liner? Thanks for your help!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sat 14 Jul, 2007 20:42

Anonymous wrote:I do mix in a bucket. Maybe I am not mixing it enough. Will the spots damage the liner? Thanks for your help!

It wont damage anything short term. It's cosmetic really.
aprilandboys

Postby aprilandboys » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 13:51

I set our pool up about 2 months ago as well and notices the same white spots, it actually has ate away the bottom of the pool in a spot in the middle kinda. But since its kinda in the middle and on concrete the heaviness of the pool is helping the water remain in the pool...I never knew you were supposed to dilute the chemicals first ...lesson learned I guess! Now I will just be on the hunt for another pool so I can use it to patch my hole once we drain it!
aprilandboys

Postby aprilandboys » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 13:52

Oh wow..I just realized I replied to a post from 2007....lol
paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Re: White spots on bottom of pool liner?

Postby paulbest » Wed 10 Aug, 2016 21:41

The white spots you are seeing is not some type of creepy-crawly crud that will attack, but it is a sign of unbalanced water elements.
The water you use in your pool may have a higher concentration of calcium, which is a natural component in the water. If there are higher amounts of calcium, you have "hard" water. The calcium can stain the sides of the pool, your equipment and the skimmer.

Ranges in vinyl-lined swimming pools should be between 80-150 PPM. If the calcium levels are too high, you see the white spots, which is the calcium hardening on the liner. Chemicals that are added can raise or lower the calcium levels. When levels reach above the 400-PPM level, you will see cloudiness in the water, making the pool appear dirty and the scaling will begin.

how do you remove it?

The first step in fighting the white spots is to ensure your pool water is kept at the perfect pH balance. When the water is balanced, it removes the hard water calcium component. Water that is balanced won't stain the pool liner, but will remain ready on those hot days when you need a good swim.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”