New pool owner

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Vysie
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 23x12x3.6
Haywood pump
Cirtikin sand filter

New pool owner

Postby Vysie » Mon 11 Apr, 2022 09:46

Hi all, I moved to a property that has an in ground pool that measures 23ft x 12ft x 3.6ft. Iv done nothing but search YouTube and the net to understand how to maintain the pool over winter. The owner winterised the pool so I just kept basic maintenance on it ie chlorine tablets. Now I’m getting it ready for the UK’s 3 days of summer I need to get the chemistry sorted. Oh and I had to install a new pump 2 weeks ago as that packed in!
Anyhow I had vacuumed the pool backwashed the sand filter and swapped to summer cover hoping it adds a degree or 2!
When I tested the water it high on free chlorine which I guess is because iv dropped a tablet every couple of weeks in the skimmer. So to reduce it iv not added any since I started the opening up process. Will the weather bring this down? As I read sunlight will affect chlorine, also my ph is way to low on a dip test so iv added around 1.5lb of ph increaser and will check again tomorrow pool is 6190 gallons or 28,140 litres. With ph increaser will this raise the alkaline level of the pool as it’s currently at 40ppm ?

I’m sorry to as so many questions on my first post, I live in the Staffordshire area and pools round here are attached to schools and you pay to swim so I don’t have any pool friends to ask.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: New pool owner

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 12 Apr, 2022 13:01

Oh boy, 3 days of summer! How very dare you!
pH increaser does just that it shouldn't have a major effect on alkalinity, if its a liner pool do not follow the internet! Most stuff on there is related to concrete pools with tiles or plaster finishes.
Dip strips are near useless you could really use a good test kit. I run my vinyl lined pool st around 40ppm alkalinity and havent added pH minus in along time, 1 litre bottle lasted about 2 or 3 seasons. More alkalinity= bigger quicker pH rises and then more pH reducer and so the cycle goes on.

You need to be aware of the CYA stabiliser using chlorine tablets and that cannot be measured accurately with dip strips but it is THE most important chemical in your pool.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 13 Apr, 2022 02:10

With reference to Teapot1 post I agree, you are probably overdosing with CYA and really need to get a FAS/DPD test kit
Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
To reduce your CYA you have to do a partial drain and refill
Continuous use of Trichlor/Dichlor will raise your CYA which means you have to raise your chlorine level as well

You would be doing better by adding liquid chlorine
Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach) Liquid chlorine only adds salt
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA

Use these links to get a better understanding
Recommended Pool Levels
Pool Maths
Chlorine / CYA Chart
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 13 Apr, 2022 10:20

Denniswiseman wrote:
Use these links to get a better understanding
Recommended Pool Levels

Even their levels are off for ALK and Calcium for a vinyl liner/ fibreglass pool.
If you have stabiliser in the water the pH doesn't matter much and can go above pH8 its the ratio of chlorine to stabiliser that reigns supreme.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Vysie
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 23x12x3.6
Haywood pump
Cirtikin sand filter

Postby Vysie » Thu 14 Apr, 2022 14:26

Thanks for the replies all, I do have a dpd/red test kit and I’ll be honest I am struggling with it all.
I believe with the red tablet it’s reading between 7.8 and 8 on the dpd side it’s 5 and on alkaline it’s 100
Iv not added chlorine tablet since Sunday should I now drop a tablet in?

Iv had to vac it a few more times and Iv read that if I keep getting dirt I should vac to waste and not through filter?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 15 Apr, 2022 02:25

First of all backwash to clear out the filter remebering to set it to the rinse function before going back to filter and don't do it with the pump running
I would definately check the chlorine level and your CYA
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 15 Apr, 2022 06:48

Seconded, without knowing the CYA you are completely in the dark when it comes to managing the pool.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”