Is this normal or am I getting ripped off?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
lauren52290
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground, chlorine, sand filter. New to me!

Is this normal or am I getting ripped off?

Postby lauren52290 » Tue 10 May, 2022 11:51

New pool owner here! :wave:

My husband and I have never owned or maintained a pool, so we decided to have it professionally opened and are going to try to maintain it ourselves.

The company we hired (we're in the Kansas City area) started the opening process on April 20th.. It's now May 10th and it still isn't swim ready? They have not communicated with us very much at all, even after asking for communication because we don't know what the process look like.

I know it wasn't THAT bad-the previous owners took pretty good care of it (per the inspector that looked at the pool in Dec before we purchased the home). There was definitely a good amount of algae. I just feel like they are really taking their time and the lack of communication is annoying.

Really just trying to figure out how long it should realistically take to open LOL

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Is this normal or am I getting ripped off?

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 10 May, 2022 14:15

A pro, a decent one. could open a pool in 1/2 day. If there is a lot of dirt and debris with algae it may take a couple of visits for 1-2 hours per day but would be fine after a week. Sounds like you have real jokers attending to your pool.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”