Seeking help for chronic pool issues

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Seeking help for chronic pool issues

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 11 Nov, 2022 06:53

Jwg wrote:I am new here and have a pool problem and I can't figure out how to make a new post on this forum. Can anyone help me

Don't post in another post with no relevance unless you can't work out how to do it
Click "Forums"
Select a Topic
Choose "New Topic" if there isn't a suitable one

JCINAZ
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 17k round, Variable speed pump, Cartridge filter

Postby JCINAZ » Sun 13 Nov, 2022 10:28

I am still performing the SLAM procedure.

In the SLAM guide on TFP site, they recommend "Backwash or clean the filter as needed."

How would one know when it is "needed?"
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 13 Nov, 2022 11:01

When the pressure is 20-25% higher than clean, although it wouldn't hurt to do do it anyway
Have you done the overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT)
JCINAZ
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby JCINAZ » Mon 14 Nov, 2022 10:37

Denniswiseman wrote:When the pressure is 20-25% higher than clean, although it wouldn't hurt to do do it anyway
Have you done the overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT)

I didn't record the starting pressure when I last cleaned the filters about 1.5 months ago.

I started the OCLT test last night:
Night:
FC: 11.2
CI2: 0

Morning:
FC: 10.2
CI2: .2

It seems like my pool isn't getting clearer. I started the SLAM process in the afternoon of 11/11, so its been about 3 days. My starting SLAM FC was 11.8, keeping it up daily around goal of 12.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 14 Nov, 2022 11:26

If you aren't swimming boost the FC up higher than 12
JCINAZ
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby JCINAZ » Mon 14 Nov, 2022 15:35

How much higher? The TFP SLAM website recommends for a CYA of 30, the goal SLAM FC is 12.

I have read that having a FC too high can damage pool equipment.

I am assuming with my filter that no matter how dirty it is, the water should get clearer, it's just that a dirty filter would take longer to clear the water.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 14 Nov, 2022 16:01

You would have to go very high indeed to damage the pool equipment and most is damaged by low pH. So dont worry, a bit more chlorine means a faster result.

The measure of how good your system is, how quickly it clears up. Bad flow, low number of turnovers, high pressure readings and bad filtration media can all hamper the clearing. If you are not using a DE or cartridge filter you can add a clarifyer like Jolly gell or a flocculent.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
JCINAZ
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby JCINAZ » Tue 15 Nov, 2022 15:49

I am going to keep at 12 FC and let it run for another 3-4 days and see what progress looks like.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 15 Nov, 2022 17:38

Time is the one thing pool shops do not sell and sometimes its exactly what you need.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
JCINAZ
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby JCINAZ » Wed 23 Nov, 2022 10:07

Gentlemen,

I have accomplished the goal after a month of diligently following the advice I received on this forum. I have my pool back, blue and crystal clear. :D :D :D When I started on this forum it was green and cloudy. And just in time for us hosting Thanksgiving (Tomorrow) so I don't have to listen to my brother-in-laws comments about how crappy my pool looks. :D

This morning I finished doing my last 3 SLAM checks and passed:
1. CC is 0.5 or lower
2. AND you pass an OCLT
3. AND pool water is crystal clear with no visible sign of algae (dead or alive) on floor and walls.

and I know how to properly use my K2006c testkit you recommended. No more using "guessstrips." I am no longer going to the pool store for advice, that was an expensive waste of time.

My advice to others who may be in my spot. Follow the advice on this forum and TFP website. Most important, have patience and be very consistent.

Thank you to:
Teapot1
Denniswiseman

You're advice was spot on and very helpful. Thank you very much! I owe you guys a beer or two! :clap: :thumbup:
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 23 Nov, 2022 10:13

No need for the beer but it's nice to know that we have helped you. Some people post and never respond
You can also pass on the knowledge that you have learned as we have done
Happy thanksgiving
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 23 Nov, 2022 10:52

Seconded, thanks for popping back to say thanks :thumbup:
JCINAZ
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby JCINAZ » Tue 29 Aug, 2023 00:33

Hi, it’s me again.

Have a question about CYA. I had my pool at 35 CYA a few months ago. I tested today and it’s showing 0.

I didn’t drain my pool. I thought CYA never goes away unless you take out water.

Not having done that, is there any other causes to lose CYA?

Thx.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 29 Aug, 2023 01:51

CYA can reduce through a long shock process, I had to do this on one occasion and it took a lot of chlorine but replacing the water on this pool was just not possible at that time. Another way we have noticed CYA reduction is mainly over winter and we believe the cause to be a bacteria that feeds from CYA. When this has happened it sometimes has meant a remnant of ammonia has remained and that has taken a fair amount of chlorine to break down as it normally forms monochloramine and tests as combined chlorine.
All that said, first place to start is the actual CYA test, is the reagent in date etc. Maybe have someone carry out another test with their equipment.
JCINAZ
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby JCINAZ » Tue 29 Aug, 2023 11:22

Teapot1 wrote:CYA can reduce through a long shock process, I had to do this on one occasion and it took a lot of chlorine but replacing the water on this pool was just not possible at that time. Another way we have noticed CYA reduction is mainly over winter and we believe the cause to be a bacteria that feeds from CYA. When this has happened it sometimes has meant a remnant of ammonia has remained and that has taken a fair amount of chlorine to break down as it normally forms monochloramine and tests as combined chlorine.
All that said, first place to start is the actual CYA test, is the reagent in date etc. Maybe have someone carry out another test with their equipment.

I will check my test kit. I am going through a prolonged slam cycle so that may explain it.

Should I wait to add the CYA back until after I am finished with this latest SLAM cycle?

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”