New pool owner. Need help with cloudy water/chems

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 24 Jul, 2007 19:09

When algae gets killed it goes through phases that look like the pictures in this link. So the green turns to blue-gray, then cloudy, then dull, then clear.

Whit
I'm new here
I'm new here

I don't believe the pics

Postby Whit » Wed 25 Jul, 2007 13:26

The last response by CHEMGEEK really pissed me off (smilin'). I have a pool guy at my house right now, so maybe he can work that magic.
Thanks for all the info... guess I'd never make it in the pool cleaning business...
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 25 Jul, 2007 15:04

If you want to accelerate the clearing process or if filtration is poor, then you can use a flocculant, OMNI Liquid Floc Plus, that will consolidate particles including algae and have them settle to the bottom of the pool where you need to then vacuum to waste. I didn't recommend that earlier because it's not cheap, but that's the tradeoff between cost and convenience. The chlorine is what actually kills the algae. The flocculant just aids in physical removal but is not always needed if there's not too much algae or when circulation is good and the algae filters out, etc.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Wed 25 Jul, 2007 15:34

chem geek wrote:When algae gets killed it goes through phases that look like the pictures in this link. So the green turns to blue-gray, then cloudy, then dull, then clear.

CLICK HERE to see mine as well. All thanks to Bleach, Baking Soda and Borax...BBB!
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”