priming pool pump and strainer basket

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
neon
I'm new here
I'm new here

priming pool pump and strainer basket

Postby neon » Sun 05 Mar, 2023 09:58

Hi, I have a pool which I'm trying to prime. It has a sand filter which I set to recirculate. I have a few questions:

1) The issue is when I use a garden hose to fill the pump's strainer basket with water. The water never reaches the brim. However in this video (1:10 mark) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLwpXo9kNTA the water reaches the brim. I left the hose running for over 10 min. Should it fill to the brim? You can see in the image below that the pipe that exists the strainer basket just down down into the ground. So will it never reach the brim?

2) After priming and starting the pump, the strainer basket fills up to the brim and the pump is working hard. However 1 minute later, the pump quietens down and goes into normal operation mode and the water level in the strainer basket goes down 3/4 to 1/2 way down. Is this normal?

https://imgur.com/a/CsVoa1w

Thanks for any help.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: priming pool pump and strainer basket

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 05 Mar, 2023 10:56

If that is avalve in the image and it's turned off then you should be able to fill and prime and open just after the pump starts
Failing that a non return valve in the same position would cure your problems
You must have an air leak somewhere for it to continously lose prime or compressed air in the filter
Does it blow back into the skimmere
neon
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby neon » Sun 05 Mar, 2023 11:13

Thanks. Yes, I guess the thing with a blue handle is a valve. I put the garden hose in the strainer basket and through the pipe into the direction of the valve. It seems open since all the water just flow down the pipe that leads into the ground. Are you saying I close the valve, fill the strainer basket to the brim with water, start it up, and then open the valve up again?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Sun 05 Mar, 2023 13:13

Why are you in recirculate?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
neon
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby neon » Sun 05 Mar, 2023 13:22

Teapot1 wrote:Why are you in recirculate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JVApTiCQIg [1:15] Step I. Set Multiport Valve to "Recirculate". Obviously after it's primed, I flip it to "Filter".
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 06 Mar, 2023 03:28

neon wrote:
Teapot1 wrote:Why are you in recirculate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JVApTiCQIg [1:15] Step I. Set Multiport Valve to "Recirculate". Obviously after it's primed, I flip it to "Filter".

Unnecessary, just start in filter position and make sure you have bled any air out of the filter when the pump starts from the air bleed usually on the top of the filter.
Starting in recirculate and then flipping to filter could cause air trapped in the filter to burst the filter. Seen that happen several times and twice to my neighbour who listened to me eventually.

As Dennis has said a non return valve fitted before that blue handled valve would solve most of the issues, it needs to be a bit further in front and as low down as you can get it. Trouble with your current setup is you can still have a large pocket of air before that blue handled valve, it may prime temporary and then the air gets drawn in and pump loses prime once more.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 06 Mar, 2023 04:11

neon wrote:Thanks. Yes, I guess the thing with a blue handle is a valve. I put the garden hose in the strainer basket and through the pipe into the direction of the valve. It seems open since all the water just flow down the pipe that leads into the ground. Are you saying I close the valve, fill the strainer basket to the brim with water, start it up, and then open the valve up again?

Yes

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”