New Pool Owner Pool Has Been GREEN for a Month

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.

Postby Guest » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 18:00

Hey Guys...

I tried the bleach thing. I put ten gallons in in 48 hrs. Off brand bleach.

It didn't do anything. Maybe, after we get it cleared up, I'll start using that instead of the granular chlorine.

I started wasting out/filling it back today. Except, I can't waste. I don't know what the deal is, but all I get is clear water. I don't have any idea where CLEAR water is coming from!!

As soon as I walked up to my pump, the glass tube was green. I mean, greener than my pool. I put it on backwash, until my H2O level got down to the arrows, then started filling it back up. The backwash water was green for ten minutes.

I'll go out and do this again when it fills up.

How many times do you think I need to do this?

I've tried everything else. Nothing is working...Nada.

I'm very very sad...and depressed over this. I haven't been able to use my pool for over a month now. Everything that I'm told to do, doesn't work.

This is my last resort. I've been told by several people to do the drain/refill thing, since my CYA level is up.

I do have an in-ground, vinyl pool. It's about 14x24.

Thanks again guys!! Have a great night!

Melena

Postby Guest » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 18:03

Also, if I'm not doing this right, as far as the draining, how do I do it?

Since my waste doesn't work like most everyone else's, the only thing I can think of is backwash.

Please tell me I'm doing this right!!

Tomorrow, I will go and get the bleach/baking soda/borax. We have the granular bleach and baking soda here, but no liquid or borax.

Thanks again!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 18:20

Anonymous wrote:I tried the bleach thing. I put ten gallons in in 48 hrs. Off brand bleach. It didn't do anything. Maybe, after we get it cleared up, I'll start using that instead of the granular chlorine.

How did you arrive at 10 gallons? What was the bleach percentage? If you still have high CYA, believe it or not...10 gallons might not be enough. Thats why you should lower your CYA first.

Anonymous wrote:I started wasting out/filling it back today. Except, I can't waste. I don't know what the deal is, but all I get is clear water. I don't have any idea where CLEAR water is coming from!!

From your pool. It looks green in the pool because you are looking through a lot of it. Its the same principle that make the green shampoo in the bottle turn into white suds on your head.

Anonymous wrote:The backwash water was green for ten minutes.

That's all the dead algae, dirt & crap that was killed by your 10 gallons of bleach, and pulled out of the water.

Anonymous wrote:I'll go out and do this again when it fills up. How many times do you think I need to do this? I've tried everything else. Nothing is working...Nada.

I disagree. The 10 minutes of junk that poured out of your filter shows that it IS working. It is not however, going to happen overnight.

Hang in there...you are doing the right thing. Keep ading chlorine bleach, keep your filter running 24/7, keep diluting until your CYA is below 50 and keep brushing & vacuuming.

It WILL get better. You just have a LOT of enemies to kill!
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Postby Guest » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 19:46

Ok, this is what I've done tonight.

Remember, this is all done without my husband's knowledge. Any bleach, baking powder, algaecide, I buy. Any granulated bleach or tabs, he buys. Plus, right now he's paying the bills. Our elec. was $250 last month.

I backwashed/refilled three times. I added more of the copper algaecide, four boxes of baking soda..which we haven't put in in over a month...and two chlorine tabs. I started to put four, since we have TONS of them, but figured I would wait until tomorrow.

Here's the deal on the pump. We ran it all week last week, 24/7. He's not wanting to run it at night now, due to the bill. We've been turning it on at around 9-10am and leaving it on until around 1am. Therefore, it's only off for 8 hours.

I know that we should be running it all the time, but everytime I bring it up, he tells me that we can't.

I really, really need that job!!

Anyway, I did all the draining etc, put the chemicals in, and brushed between each drain.

I can't see the floor of the pool enough to vac right now.

I hope, hope, hope that what I'm doing now will help even more.

What's the difference in liquid chlorine and my tabs? Like I said, I have a lot of them. We bought one of those HUGE buckets, it comes up to my knees! (And I'm tall!)

Thanks again guys!! For some reason, doing what I did tonight, made me feel more positive about things. Maybe it will turn soon. I'm just so disgusted because I'm doing the action, but not seeing any REACTION!!

Have a great night!

Oh..on the 10 gallons..I bought those big bottles off brand bleach. They were a gallon and a half. So, I put in ten gallons...however many containers that is!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 21:04

Anonymous wrote:Ok, this is what I've done tonight.

Remember, this is all done without my husband's knowledge. Any bleach, baking powder, algaecide, I buy. Any granulated bleach or tabs, he buys. Plus, right now he's paying the bills. Our elec. was $250 last month.

I backwashed/refilled three times. I added more of the copper algaecide, four boxes of baking soda..which we haven't put in in over a month...and two chlorine tabs. I started to put four, since we have TONS of them, but figured I would wait until tomorrow.

Here's the deal on the pump. We ran it all week last week, 24/7. He's not wanting to run it at night now, due to the bill. We've been turning it on at around 9-10am and leaving it on until around 1am. Therefore, it's only off for 8 hours.

I know that we should be running it all the time, but everytime I bring it up, he tells me that we can't.

I really, really need that job!!

Anyway, I did all the draining etc, put the chemicals in, and brushed between each drain.

I can't see the floor of the pool enough to vac right now.

I hope, hope, hope that what I'm doing now will help even more.

What's the difference in liquid chlorine and my tabs? Like I said, I have a lot of them. We bought one of those HUGE buckets, it comes up to my knees! (And I'm tall!)

Thanks again guys!! For some reason, doing what I did tonight, made me feel more positive about things. Maybe it will turn soon. I'm just so disgusted because I'm doing the action, but not seeing any REACTION!!

Have a great night!

Oh..on the 10 gallons..I bought those big bottles off brand bleach. They were a gallon and a half. So, I put in ten gallons...however many containers that is!

OK, you have me worried. I am getting the distinct impression that you are going manic on us, dumping random chemicals into your pool daily, and expecting a miracle at sunrise. I certainly hope you are adding all these things based on TESTS and not just dumping in chemicals willy-nilly. Why are you adding copper algaecide and baking soda? Is your TA super low?

We have told you all about CYA, pucks, etc, but you don't seem to be listening.

Please tell me I am wrong...

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Postby Guest » Wed 01 Aug, 2007 03:46

I'm not dumping at random.

I was told to add the algaecide last week. It's the same that I've been putting in all along. It stains your liner if you put in too much??

And, I haven't put in ANY kind of PH chems in over a month. Therefore, it was low, according to my sticks. What will happen if you have too much PH, just out of curiosity.

I've got to get a 'real' test kit. They have those BIG bottles of sticks at the pool store, that have all the chemicals on them. Will that be better than what I've got? They're only about $20.

My Chlorine was low, too, of course. It's NEVER been higher than 'white' on my sticks, since we got the house. Except of course, when the chems first go in.

And that's adding two 3' tabs every week, and 4lbs of Shock. I've got to figure out if the BBB is better $$ wise.

I'm doing the backwash/refill because that's what ya'll told me to do!! It's the only thing I haven't done.

I still don't know how many times I need to do that. Does Anyone?

ALSO...will the chlorine tabs help me? I've got a lot of them, and as I said, I put two in for tonight. I was thinking about putting four, but didn't know if I would just be wasting them.

See...I'm new! I just don't know a lot about this stuff. But, I'm trying to learn.

I've got to get a 'real' test kit. They have those BIG bottles of sticks at the pool store, that have all the chemicals on them. Will that be better than what I've got? They're only about $20

Thanks!

Postby Guest » Wed 01 Aug, 2007 21:55

Check your CYA level. Since you've been draining and filling, we'd like to know where you are in that reguard...

Post what all your readings are in the morning and let's see where it stands.

Not treating pH regularly, or atleast keeping it in check will cause chlorine to become ineffient and not do it's job. These bodies of water can get sick and turn on you within hours, not days. (Trust me I know! Oneday I went to work with a clear pool and when I got home, it was so cloudy! We're talking 8 hours later!!! Atleast it wasn't green!) I'm concerned that your PA or something simple is *off* and that maybe what's holding you up. Your CYA might even be low now but I'm only speculating.

Sometimes, it just takes a little while and if you post #'s, we'll be of better assistance than just guessing... That's your homework!

Postby Guest » Thu 02 Aug, 2007 02:38

I'll be back to post my readings in a bit..but here's some news.

I have Phosphates! I was told that this was why I cannot hold chlorine!

We've never been able to hold it, so I figure they've been in the whole time.

I don't know why, we don't fertilize or live near anyone who does.
bamamelena

Postby bamamelena » Thu 02 Aug, 2007 14:18

Ok, here's my numbers from yesterday. Notice that the CYA level is down a lot!

HAR-118.95

TC-.92

FC-.75

BR-.90

ALK-134.76

CYA-69.86

BOR-14.55

PH-8.00

Therefore, I feel like I'm doing something right. But, finding out that I do have Phosphates in my pool, answered some questions.

We've NEVER been able to hold chlorine in our pool, since moving here in April.

Therefore, I think this may be the root of all my problems. I wouldn't have algae this bad if I had been able to hold chlorine.

Of course, I feel like I've wasted everything I've put in there, especially the chlorine.

But, lesson learned. If it starts not holding it again, I'll know to have it tested.

It looks like if you go into a pool store and say 'My pool is not holding chlorine' they would say 'Here, let me test it for phosphates.'

But, nope. Not my old store. I just kept spending buckets of money.

Anyway, I think I'm going to go out and put some off brand chlorine in this evening, and see if it holds.

At least I've learned from this experience, anyway.

Thanks again guys!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 02 Aug, 2007 16:15

You don't need phosphate out. You don't need algaecide. What you need is chlorine. Your pool wont hold because the chlorine demand is so high, it's being eaten as fast as you put it in. Again, the key is to put in the correct amount of chlorine. Your pool has approximately 14,000 gallons. With a CYA of 60, you need a minimum of 23.7ppm to shock your pool. Thats 5.5 gallons of 6% chlorine, add a gallon for 5%. Anything less wont do you any good.

You should go to Walmart and buy 10 gallons of chlorine. Put 5.5 in tonight after sundown, not during the day. Be sure the pump runs all night. Every day check your chlorine and add more to keep it UP. Run your pump and filter 24-7. Brush a lot. Watch your pressure and backwash frequently. If you do this, within a week your pool will clear AND be holding chlorine.

I know you are low on cash, but if you can't do ALL these things (big initial dose, daily additions, scrub a lot, filter 24/7), you won't clear your pool and you will have wasted your time and money.

It's like only taking half of your antibiotics. You can't do it halfway or it wont work.

Postby Guest » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 03:12

Well, the pool has never held chlorine for more than four hours at a time, that is, never tested 'purple' for that long.

Tonight, it's tested purple for almost 12 hours.

I put in three gallons of chlorine, and more phosphate remover. Also, I put in more clarifier, to see if the algae would 'drop'.

I must be doing something right, because for the first time in over a month, my pool is clearing. You can actually see the bottom. It's cloudy, but that will go too.

I honestly feel that the phosphates did have something to do with it. Otherwise, why would my pool NEVER hold chlorine, no matter how much we put in, and then all of a sudden start?

Thanks to everyone that has helped me. I hope that this crisis is over...I know that I still have a way to go..but I can actually see progress..and it's progress, not perfection!

Thanks again!

Postby Guest » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 03:14

The only thing I haven't been doing is running my pump 24/7. However, it is on tonight.

We've been turning it off for about six or seven hours each night..then running it the rest of the day.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 09:19

Anonymous wrote:Well, the pool has never held chlorine for more than four hours at a time, that is, never tested 'purple' for that long.

Tonight, it's tested purple for almost 12 hours.

I put in three gallons of chlorine, and more phosphate remover. Also, I put in more clarifier, to see if the algae would 'drop'.

I must be doing something right, because for the first time in over a month, my pool is clearing. You can actually see the bottom. It's cloudy, but that will go too.

I honestly feel that the phosphates did have something to do with it. Otherwise, why would my pool NEVER hold chlorine, no matter how much we put in, and then all of a sudden start?

Thanks to everyone that has helped me. I hope that this crisis is over...I know that I still have a way to go..but I can actually see progress..and it's progress, not perfection!

Thanks again!

I'm talking to a brick wall. I'm done.

Good luck with your pool.

Postby Guest » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 14:37

I'm sorry that you feel that way.

I have taken and tried a lot of the things that were told to me here.

We've done the drain/fill

I've ran my pump now for two days

I've used regular granulated Chlorine

I got my CYA levels down.

I have brushed every day, twice a day.

And, maybe, some of that helped.

However, before doing anything about the phosphates, I could put any amount of chlorine, any kind, and it WOULD NOT hold, no longer than two hours.

Now, my chlorine levels have been the bright 'purple' for almost 24 hours. Also, there is no more visible green.

Therefore, I feel that the phosphates did have something to do with it, since it is holding chlorine, and it is clearing.

Maybe it was some of the other things I did, as well. But, none of the others things allowed it to hold chlorine.

I was told that my chlorine levels had to be up in order to rid the algae. I couldn't get them up at that time. Now I can.

Again, I appreciate all the help that was offered to me here. I did most everything that was suggested.

Hopefully, as I said, I'm on the other side of this, coming out.

Thanks again, and have a great weekend!

Postby Guest » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 14:41

Another thing..

Backglass, I know you think I'm not taking your advice, however, I am.

We've run the pump for two days.

I put in three gallons of chlorine last night. More will go this evening..

I'm brushing every day, twice a day.

I'm backwashing every day.

I'm doing all the things you told me to do, however, a few weeks ago, I dumped in TEN gallons of chlorine. It was gone in two hours.

I've never held chlorine for more than five hours, as long as we've owned this house. I knew that was strange, but didn't know to test for phosphates.

Just wanted to add that I am doing as Backglass said!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”