New Pool Owner Pool Has Been GREEN for a Month

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.

Postby Guest » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 16:24

I think you're doing GREAT! Just stay away from the pool stores! All you need is Bleach, Baking soda and Borax after you get this thing under control.

The key is staying on top of it. :wink:

Algae is horrible and with the amount you say you had (&have), the amount of chlorine you're putting in was being ate up because you never had enough to begin with. However, I can't add anything to phosphates. :oops: I'll have to read up on it now.

If your water is clearer now that you added this phos stuff (whatever you added), MORE POWER TO IT!

This has taken awhile for you because of a few things.
Your CYA was up. There was absolutely no chlorine in the pool. It twas green and not reading.

You did drain refills, atleast 3 right? and look at those numbers... If you do another drain refill after your pool is clear, you might even be able to get the chlorine intake down a bit more and save a pinch more in money. (Aleast that's what I'd do.)

This is your first year. You'll be a pro next year if you stick around and read the boards here. Learn why testing daily or every other day is important in water balance. They'll get sick so quick!

I have to add clorine bleach every other day at the most. I'm cutting it close and will be in danger if I go beyond that but I love my pool and don't mind taking the time to care for it. I even enjoy sweeping it! I don't own an automatic anything.

Can ya find 30 bucks?
Go to WalMart and stock up on the 174 oz Great Value Bleach.
If your up to the let's say 20 ppm to electricute this bloom, sit on that deck and check it every 4 hours to make sure the FC doesn't go down A BIT! You will have to add more bleach if that deep color purple fades in your case. (Those are test strips) Add more bleach over your return. let it circulate 24/7. I know your DH doesn't like this but if his ass would complain about how hot it was, I'd give him a swift push in that yucky pool your fighting with! I run my filter 24/7 just because I have too. (dog)

And another thing. It helps to have just one person in the pool room. I don't let anyone treat my pool and you should tell DH that you can do this but he has to trust you and once you learn, you can teach him if he wants to learn. You have to work together or you'll be defeating your purpose.

RUN PUMP 24/7.
ADD BLEACH EVERY 4-6 HOURS AS NEEDED.
HOLD 15-20ppm FOR 24 HOURS.
NO IF, AND, OR BUTS ABOUT IT.

Is your water clearing?

bamamelena

Postby bamamelena » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 21:12

It looks much better today! I can actually see the outline of the drain!

I'm still backwashing at least once a day.

I also added four more gallons of bleach today. I had to swap test strips, and in doing so, figured out they're not all the same.

So, I went back to my trusty kit. You dunk it underwater, then add drops of yellow to one side, and drops of red to another. My chlorine was up, up , up!

I have dead algae!!! Finally!

I'm going to vacuum tomorrow. I can't see well enough in the deep in yet, but can in the shallow end. I could actually see the outline of the algae in the deep end, though.

I'm still getting green when I backwash, though not as green. I know there's still some in there from that.

But, it's holding chlorine, killing the algae, and clearing. I haven't been able to get it to do any of that for over a month!

We've had the pump on for a few days. I think DH sees that it's helping.

The funny thing is, I have been around more pools than he has, and he's still insisting on being a part. Yet, when we first bought it, the pool was 'Your responsibility.' Now, if I say something about it, he's 'just helping'. :)

Anyway, thanks. And I have learned from this.

When we first started, we were testing and adding chems once a week. That may be ok for April and May, but not for June, July, and August. Especially not here, where we have 90 degree days from end of May through end of September.

Thanks again!
pool tech

cya

Postby pool tech » Sat 04 Aug, 2007 03:18

Anonymous wrote:Just wanted to say that you will spend boo coo bucks on chlorine if you don't get your CYA down. It's extremely high considering a normal reading is 30-50. To do that, you have to do a partial drain of your pool until it comes down to 30-50.

With high CYA levels (yours being 117), your chlorine cannot work and I suspect this is why you have a HUGE algae bloom.

My suggestion to you and only my opinion...
Your pool couldn't possibly get any worse. Work on partial draining 1st and when your numbers come down, SHOCK THE HELL OUT OF IT!

Your alkilinity looks a tad high and maybe a drain will bring that down too but I'm not sure.

I'm putting my money on CYA being SKY HIGH.

Good Luck with it and keep us posted.

You are backwards sir I'm a proffesional and your CYA should be between 80 & 100 ppm & it really doesn't matter how high the cya is but if its below 60 raise it ASAP. Now there can really be only 3 problems most likely causing the problem. #1 have your pool tested for phosphates, it's going to be the most likely cause of algea if you have chlorine always in the pool and quit using chlorox, you might need 2 bottles of phosphate remover if the levels are really high. #2 make sure you clean your filter every few days until pool is clear and get a new cartridge if need be. #3 If the pool water is old (same water in pool for 8-10 years) do a half drain and refill then do it again.
pool tech

green pool

Postby pool tech » Sat 04 Aug, 2007 03:36

to save all you people money heres some advice. If your pool turns green first shock the pool get the free cl2 up to 10ppm for 4 hours,and run your cleaned filter for 24 hours. If that doesn't work the next step is test the cya, you want at least 80ppm trust me I've serviced hundreds of pools and there is no such thing as to high of cya level unless your dealing with the county at a public pool which I do and they want it under 100ppm, also check your phosphate level at this time. Not many people know but phosphates are a leading cause of algea grows, it's their food so if your phosphates are high it won't matter how much chlorine you put in. If those 2 things check out and your equiptment is working properly and your filter cartridges are in good shape and your running your pool 6-8 hours a day than you probaably have old water (TDS) and would need to drain and refill your pool. I guaruntee this advise will clear your pool.

Postby Guest » Sat 04 Aug, 2007 06:59

I'll continue to use BBB. It works for me along with a CYA level of 30-50.

If my CYA get's any higher than that then I'll do a drain/refill as I suggested to bamamelena. She's even holding chlorine now and shouldn't have to add boo coo bucks to her pool in chlorine just to get the FC up.

Like I said before, I don't know much about phosphates in pool water but MORE POWER TO HER POOL if that's what helped when she added it.

I'll still hit a 30-50 on *my* CYA no matter what you say. That my friend is what's been recommened by more than one person on a few sites. :wink:

Oh yeah, I thought water was water?
If it's balanced, it won't turn to sludge... even if it is ten years old.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong,,,
Backglass???
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: cya

Postby Backglass » Sat 04 Aug, 2007 09:31

pool tech wrote:You are backwards sir I'm a proffesional and your CYA should be between 80 & 100 ppm & it really doesn't matter how high the cya is but if its below 60 raise it ASAP.

Hold on there cowboy..."it really doesnt matter what your CYA is"?! I'm sorry, but this is not true, unless using a SWCG. 30-50 is the correct range for a non salt pool. A salt pool does require more due to the low levels it produces, but it certainly DOES matter...a lot. Chem geek, where are you?

pool tech wrote:Now there can really be only 3 problems most likely causing the problem. #1 have your pool tested for phosphates, it's going to be the most likely cause of algea if you have chlorine always in the pool and quit using chlorox,

You must work for a pool store as you certainly drank the Kool-Aid. :lol: You are parroting the typical pool store line. Please tell me exactly what is wrong with using Liquid Chlorine (Bleach). It's no different from the liquid chlorine pool stores sell, except for concentration and price. Phosphates are the problem de jour these days around pool stores and rarely a problem if the pool is properly chlorinated.

pool tech wrote:#2 make sure you clean your filter every few days until pool is clear and get a new cartridge if need be.

Agreed. Good advice.

pool tech wrote:#3 If the pool water is old (same water in pool for 8-10 years) do a half drain and refill then do it again.

Why? Water doesn't "go bad" and change into something else. To me, this is a move made when you don't know how to fix the problem.

I would encourage you to go to www . troublefreepool . com and learn about BBB for both personal and your profession. The site is full of pool pros like yourself, chemists and more that can help to re-program you from your pool store cult. :lol:
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
bamamelena

Postby bamamelena » Sat 04 Aug, 2007 12:44

Well, all I know, is that for the first time in over a month, I'm actually going to get to swim in my pool this weekend!!

All that hard work has paid off. I don't know what did it, but I feel it was a combination of these:

Getting my CYA levels down.

Getting the Phosphates out..yes, I know that some say this had nothing to do with it...but I'm holding chlorine for the first time in five months.

Putting lots of chlorine in and keeping it in.

Brushing every day.

Backwashing every day.

Checking my levels every day.

I do feel like I wasted money on algaecide. I will only use this now as a preventative treatment.

I also think that I'm going to start using regular bleach. At least until I go back to work.

Oh...speaking of bleach. I went in the Dollar General the other day, bought 15 gallons. I didn't want to have to make that many trips back to my car. I have a bad back, and just can't do it.

I asked the guy if I could have bags to make it easier. He said 'I can't give you that many bags.'

I promptly called Corporate. I've worked in Retail, and with the public for many, many years. You DO NOT tell a customer 'I can't.'

Anyway, got an apology from the DM. But, I just wanted to keep that guy from doing that to a little ol' lady. I wouldn't want him to refuse my Granny bags.

Ok, out to look at my pool!

Thanks again guys. I'm still keeping this site bookmarked, for it is a great site, with a wealth of knowledge for new owners like me.

Next year will be better yet!!

One more question...I live in South Alabama. Does it make more sense for me to run my pool all year, than to close it? I may make this another topic.

Thanks again! Have a great weekend!

Postby Guest » Sat 04 Aug, 2007 15:37

Thanks for pulling up the rear Backglass!
I think melena is holding chlorine because she did atleast a few partial drains/refills and got that CYA down! :wink:

She's even going to get to go swimming this week end!!!
Woooooooo Hoooooooo!

You did great Melena! Just keep up on it now! If you miss a day, you maybe okay but NEVER 2 or more or you'll be in the same boat surrounded by green water. I'm glad to hear you're switching to BBB. Don't forget to use Borax when the pH is low and Baking soda for the TA if it's low. Muratic acid will help lower pH and TA if need be.

When you go back to the store for more bleach, ask them to carry your bags. I would do it for ya if you asked me! If I personally couldn't, I'd find someone and make'em! :twisted:

pool tech,
That's Missy to you! :lol: :shock: :twisted:

Postby Guest » Mon 06 Aug, 2007 17:14

Haven't heard from you...

Is your pool crystal clear?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 06 Aug, 2007 17:31

pool tech,

If you have manually chlorinated (not SWG) pools run at the higher Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level of 80-100 ppm then unless you are having such pools keep an absolute minimum of 6.0 - 7.5 ppm Free Chlorine (FC), then such pools are at high risk of getting algae. There is no such thing as chlorine lock, but higher levels of CYA need higher chlorine levels for the net disinfecting chlorine level (hypochlorous acid) to be the same.

If you want to run with a high CYA level but not maintain a target FC of 9.2 - 11.5 or absolute minimums as indicated above, then you need to use a weekly maintenance dose of PolyQuat 60 algaecide or use some other effective algaecide (but they have side effects -- linear quats can foam, copper can stain or color hair, etc.). Or you can use an expensive phosphate remover to take away one food for algae, but if your pool is high in nitrates then even that might not help.

The science behind chlorine and CYA is chemistry and has been known since 1973 (see this thread for more technical info). The manufacturers of Trichlor and Dichlor claim that in "real pools" CYA doesn't matter and only chlorine levels matter (see this thread for a discussion of the study the industry uses to back their claims and notice that out of 486 pools only 4 had green algae and none of the pools with zero chlorine had green algae though had bacteria -- do you really think this was a valid study or were algaecides being used?)

Richard
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 06 Aug, 2007 18:12

Malena,

I hope your pool is continuing to clear. As for the pool not holding chlorine until you used the phosphate remover, the reason is that your pool had algae growth, even when it may not have been visible early on, and that consumes a LOT of chlorine. As your CYA level rose due to use of stabilized chlorine products (e.g. Trichlor, Dichlor) the algae was able to get ahead of the chlorine and form a full bloom.

Lowering the phosphates starved the algae which helped the chlorine get ahead of the algae growth, but higher levels of chlorine would have done the same thing. It's just that with a high CYA level you need a REALLY high chlorine level (over 40 ppm FC with over 100 ppm CYA) to shock the algae and that's just not practical and gets costly (and to prevent algae you would have needed an FC target of over 12 ppm). That's why the advice of partial drain/refill was given since lowering the CYA let's you use a lower chlorine level to kill the algae quickly.

There are many users with high phosphate levels, even 3000 ppb (3 ppm), that maintain their pools with chlorine alone and do not get algae. There are a very small handful (three) out of all pool forums I've monitored that have reported high phosphates and said the chlorine would not get rid of the algae (and in some cases I'm not sure the chlorine shock levels were maintained to get rid of the algae) so usually using the expensive phosphate remover is the last resort, not the first thing to do.

Richard
bamamelena

Postby bamamelena » Wed 08 Aug, 2007 18:27

Wow.. I could have SWORN I posted the other day!!! Hmm....

Anyway, I've continued to monitor my pool, putting in almost 15 gallons of bleach since last week. I've been backwashing every day, and even vacuumed this weekend, in the shallow end.

My DH said that it looks better today that it looked this weekend, and that's even better!!

We can actually see the drain, and all the leaves and junk around it. :(

I am going to hook the Polaris up tomorrow, but I think it's dead. The last time I hooked it up, when all the algae was still present, it wouldn't move at all. We had it looked at a few months ago, and they said nothing was wrong.

If it's still not working, I'll take it to my 'new' pool store, and have them look it over for $15, then decide if it's worth fixing.

I'm holding chlorine like never before!! I didn't have to put any in from Friday until Monday.

I forgot that I have one of those tester kits that come with the red and yellow drops. You fill the tester up with pool water, and then put coordinating drops in it, and it will tell you your numbers, as well, if you know how to look at it!

Anyway, my pool is clearing, and looks so much better!! It's still cloudy, but I can deal with clouds.

Thanks again for all your help, support and advice. I will be back!! This is the best pool forum I've found.

I hope everyone has a great day!!

~Melena
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Wed 08 Aug, 2007 22:03

bamamelena wrote:We can actually see the drain, and all the leaves and junk around it.

<WHOOP! WHOOP! Warning! Warning!>

And there you have it. THAT is why you couldn't hold chlorine...not phosphates. You have had a pile of "leaves and junk" (ie: organic matter) EATING YOUR CHLORINE. It's no wonder you were having such problems. Your were basically trying to dissolve a pile of leaves with chlorine alone. Imagine if every kid in your pool "peed" a pile of leaves. You would never be able to keep it clear!

Get a leaf net. Remove ALL the "leaves & junk". You will see a very rapid improvement in your pool clarity.
===============================

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
bamamelena

Postby bamamelena » Thu 09 Aug, 2007 17:35

I have a leaf net, and have been skimming my pool every day.

There's not that much around it, just a few leaves that the skimmer didn't get. It's not a great big pile. I couldn't see the bottom of the pool before now, so I couldn't see what was down there.

Went out just now and looked...it's actually pretty clear. Got some dead algae on the bottom floor, and will have to vac, but going to wait until it cools down some. It's 110 again today!

Still holding chlorine!
pool tech

green pools

Postby pool tech » Sat 11 Aug, 2007 01:21

Everybody has a right to their own opinion but I service 100 pools a week including commercial pools. You do the math on how many services that is per year. I am in Sacramento so we have hot weather. All my pools are crystal clear. 99% of the time the only chemicals they require are 2-3 chlorine tablets per week. And if by some chance one of them turns green, it's usually due to phosphates and with my method the pool is usually clear again in 1-2 days. I have owners of other pool companies that call me daily to ask me how to get their pool clear. But what would i know I've only serviced 30,000+ pools and can repair or install about any piece of equiptment out there.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”