New pool over calibration. Only have 1.5” piping. Did my installer cut corners?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Kirch
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 23x42 mountain lake
22,340 gallons
Salt
Pump Hayward 1.65hp VS

New pool over calibration. Only have 1.5” piping. Did my installer cut corners?

Postby Kirch » Thu 11 May, 2023 09:18

Hi everybody, new pool owner and new to the forum. I’m trying to calibrate my pools turn over and have a bunch of questions.
Data:
Pool: 23x42 mountain lake 22,340 gallons
Pump: Hayward super pump VS 1.65hp
Filter: Hayward pro series S244T
Salt cell: Hayward turbo cell 940
Heater: Hayward summit XL
Piping: 1.5” PVC to 1.5” poly

Question 1. How much should I turn over the pool water?

Question 2. Is my piping too small at 1.5”.

All piping from my pump to filter and out of heater is 1.5”. When it leaves the heater it splits into two 1.5” lines. One line supplies 2 jets and the other line supplies 3 jets. 5 jet total. I only have one skimmer with a 1.5” line going back to the pump. No bottom drain.

Ive read max flow for a 1.5” pipe is around 45 gpm. While 2” is 80 gpm. Seems if my piping was 2” I’d be able to turn my water over quicker at slower speeds and really benefit from the VS pump. Thoughts?

3. How would you set this VS pump?

Thanks in advance

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: New pool over calibration. Only have 1.5” piping. Did my installer cut corners?

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 11 May, 2023 12:30

You are correct 1.5" shows the PB doesn't understand the pool flow and is just an installer. With your size pool and wanting to maximise energy savings and turn over the pool I would have used 2.5" pipe. You are just above the maximum efficiency flow for 2". I also believe your single filter is not large enough to efficiently turnover the water, I would have gone with 2 filters but slightly smaller. Forget what manufacturers say, they are just in competition for sales and I believe they use the backwash rate for their marketing. I bet it says something like 3600- 4000 GPH on the filter but realistically you'll get 2,600 GPH.
Your pool is 22,340 gallons turn over the water in 6 hours you need 3,723 GPH. 4 turnovers per day would filter 98% of the water (Gage & Bidwells law of dilution) you'll struggle to do that through the filter and 1.5" plumbing so its up to you, turn the pump up and lessen the filtration quality or turnover the water less times per day but with a better filtration quality. You don't need much pressure showing on the gauge, more pressure is just dynamic head ( friction losses and higher electricity bill)
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
KineKilla
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: New pool over calibration. Only have 1.5” piping. Did my installer cut corners?

Postby KineKilla » Thu 11 May, 2023 21:08

What is the inlet/outlet size of the pump? Seems like that could be the bottleneck or limiting factor.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 12 May, 2023 01:28

1.5" plumbing is the bottle neck and there are feet after feet of it, the pump is a compressor, whilst smaller inlets are normal they have minimal effect as the path is short.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
mknmike
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mknmike » Wed 31 May, 2023 08:33

Section 4.3 of the pump manual shows the max flow rate and minimum inlet pipe length for each size pipe.

https://mans.io/files/viewer/1475934/9

There’s going to be a max flow rate and pressure drop that gets worse with every foot of pipe. Every fitting also has an effective length of pipe. So the flow rate will drastically decrease with every turn in the piping. What we know though is that 1.5” pipe has a max flow rate with this pump of 45 GPM. And it sounds like your pump inlet is a length of 1.5” pipe that’s probably at least 7.5” long. Maybe if the manifold is changed to feed a larger pipe, you could take advantage of the max flow rate of each of your pipes going to/from the pool. If you have a single 1.5” pipe going to the pump, it’s unlikely you are getting even the max theoretical flow rate of 45 GPM. I wonder what the theoretical max flow rate of your pipes going to/from the pool are (combined).

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230531/86137b2d8041ae9b160f3cb16f96f5da.jpg[/img]

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”