too much chlorine

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
margaret

too much chlorine

Postby margaret » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 22:11

I am new at this. I have an 18x40 inground vinyl pool. Since opening this season, I can't seem to balance the chemicals. Chlorine is always high off the chart. I use 3" tabs in a chlorinator. I use borax and baking soda for ph and alkalinity. The chlorine is burning rapidly and I get a low reading on ph and alkalinity. Now I have mustard alge. I also had rust stains for which I crushed vitamin c tabs and sprinkled it in. It worked great. I don't know why I am burning chlorine. (I threw in like 2 boxes of borax and 4 boxes of baking soda, yet I get low readings) What could be the problem.
Thank you
Margaret, Manalapan, NJ

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 08:43

You may have low or no CYA. Without any CYA, a pool can go from 20ppm to -0- in a few hours of direct sunlight. You may have high CYA that is preventing your chlorine from killing algae. It may be aliens. :lol:

To know for sure, use your test kit and post a full set of numbers so we can see where you are at.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
margaret

too much chlorine

Postby margaret » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:43

Thanks for the rapid reply. Just came from Leslie's pool store. here are my numbers- free chlor - 5+
ph- 7.0
alk - 50
cya - 45
(I use test strips myself and everything is low except chlor is 10+)
Yesterday Leslies gave me chlor neutralizer. Today chlor is still high
Leslies said to add 15 lbs of alkalinity up today and 4 lbs of soda ash
tomorrow. What do you think. Should I go with pool store chemicals or stick to the BBB products?
Thank you for your advise
Margaret
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: too much chlorine

Postby Backglass » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 12:24

margaret wrote:Thanks for the rapid reply. Just came from Leslie's pool store. here are my numbers- free chlor - 5+
ph- 7.0
alk - 50
cya - 45
(I use test strips myself and everything is low except chlor is 10+)
Yesterday Leslies gave me chlor neutralizer. Today chlor is still high
Leslies said to add 15 lbs of alkalinity up today and 4 lbs of soda ash
tomorrow. What do you think. Should I go with pool store chemicals or stick to the BBB products?
Thank you for your advise
Margaret

Hey Marge,

First, whatis the condition of your pool? CLoudy? Clear? Purple? ;)

You should stop using pucks, etc and go with liquid chlorine (bleach) as your CYA is getting close the recommended limit of 50.

Leslie's Alkalinity Up is (from their website) "Granulated Sodium Bicarbonate" also known as...Baking soda. Yup, the exact same thing! So instead of buying PH+ from the pool store, just head to Cosco, Sam;'s or Walmart and buy the 12lb bag of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda for $4.95. It will raise both your ta a lot and your ph a moderate amount which should work perfectly for you. If you overdose and the ph spikes, wait...don't add acid. With your low TA is will come back down over time.

The only time you ever need to neutralize chlorine is if your are performing some stain treatment or switching to (gasp!) Baquacil. Chlorine will come down on it's own with sunlight. You just gave your pool a very thorough shocking!

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
margaret

too much chlorine

Postby margaret » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 12:37

once again, thanks for the rapid reply, I will use your suggestion.
Heading out to the store to get baking soda.
2 more things:
a. do I sprinkle ALL of the baking soda around the edge of the pool all
at once.
b. is it safe to swim right now
Thanks again
Margaret
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: too much chlorine

Postby Backglass » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 18:08

margaret wrote:once again, thanks for the rapid reply, I will use your suggestion.
Heading out to the store to get baking soda.
2 more things:
a. do I sprinkle ALL of the baking soda around the edge of the pool all
at once.
b. is it safe to swim right now
Thanks again
Margaret

Baking soda dissolves very quickly. You can literally dump it in all at once. I dumped mine into the skimmer when I opened my pool.

As long as your chlorine is above 3ppm and holding, it is safe to swim.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”