Mother of all algae problems

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Colinod
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Colinod » Sun 19 Aug, 2007 16:33

The pump definately does work. I primed it real good and made sure both valves were really open. took about a gallon of water in all to prime it.

The pump then procceeded to dump the priming water into the tank, the priming water only. The pipes are definately clogged with something then. When I push/pulled up the valve, played with it a little, some water started to pour out of the booster pump. It wasn't pressurized (Or filtered, it poured a blade of grass onto my palm) though, so I attempted to turn it on. The motor to the booster pump was seized or something.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 20 Aug, 2007 15:11

OK...I searched the Houston Craig's List for you.

HERE is a pump & filter for $160 in Deer Park. The filter is undersized for your pool and the pump is for an above ground pump so you might have some priming issues...but it's not a bad deal. You could probably show up with $125 cash and get them both.

HERE is a cartridge filter & pump for $125 in Richmond. Older...again show up with cash and get a deal.

HERE is a catridge filter for $50 with a free chlorinator. No pump though.

HERE is a 2hp pump for $100 in Clear Lake.

HERE is a 3/4hp pump for $60 in Magnoilia.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Mon 20 Aug, 2007 15:45

just remember one important thing about pump size before you buy one.

check your pipe size and count your return lines in pool becuase:

if you only have 1 1/2'' pipes and your pump is to big it will cavatate meaning only fill halfway in pumpbasket and this can lead to burning out pump/motor and other problems.

count your return lines and measure pipe size I realize your going with older used equipment but still an issue.

for used:
if it's 2'' pipe normally more return lines 3 or more it can use bigger pump 1 1/2 to 2hp, but if only 2 or less return lines 1hp at most

with 1 1/2'' pipe 3 or more return lines max 1hp, 2 or less 3/4hp or 1/2hp. This is only with used. With new you have to shrink taking in these factors.

Backglass my hat is off to you helping this person by going above and beyond the call of duty:lol:
Colinod
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Colinod » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 02:22

I didn't realize how important inlet pipe size was. So what is the max pump inlet PVC pipe size? I don't want to reduce pressure too much.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 08:40

your pipe size will 1 1/2" round or 2" round.

the cavatation problem can happen when to much flow do to power from pump/motor can not circulate back fast enough.
Colinod
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Colinod » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 14:44

So i'm home free if I have one 2" pipe coming from a single hole in the deep end?

What size should my return line be? I'm thinking of 4 of them, just pouring in water, unless you think jets can be acheived without a booster pump.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 16:24

Ok, so your main pump works and primes and your booster pump does not.

Now when you run main it should suck from skimmer go to main pump through booster then to filter then to heater if you have one then to return line or lines.

when you have a booster pump it makes me think you have spa with pool or it was for old pool cleaner.

I see many pools that never use booster pump and still function. Look at booster make sure pump lid has o-ring, grease it prime it, just add water.

Then run main pump and see what happens when running for a few mins.

what happens?

where is water going? does filter pressure seem to just buildup? is water making it to filter?

If no heater and water makes it to filter, unhook return pipe from filter and get a air compressor from someone with a nozzle that brows air. Use a old shirt and rap around nozzle and put into pipe and blow air and see what happens.

How far down is the return line or lines under water? If you can reach them/see them take a metal coat hanger and straighten out and poke in side return/'s. Do you feel or pull anything out?

also the valve you talked about where is it? in between what? whats it seem to do? Just open and close line?
Colino

Postby Colino » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 20:30

The valve is what should send dirty water to backwash, waste, filter, etc. What valve a filter had before the advent of the multi-port valves.

My valve only seems to let me choose whether to send pumped water to backwash or normally filter.

I thought the booster pump was for the return jets...?
The pool has 5+ return jets, which are about 2-3 feet below the surface.

When I prime the main pump, the water goes into the filter NOT through the top pipe, but through the bottom, no matter what position the push/pull-valve is in. I observe this because the water sitting at the bottom of the filter stirs around.

The filter doesn't have pressure that I know of. Water doesnt flow in agressively, and the little hose coming from the filter feed line to the pressure gauge is detached, and it doesn't reattach.

I have run the mianpump for one minute at a time, and the water level in the pump basket falls below the feed lines.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 21:48

keep the water flow going to filter not backwash & water entering from bottom pipe is normal. This should then not backwash.

You say when you prime pump and run, the water goes down? this can be normal for a few mins.

checking little things:
is pool level correct so skimmer does not suck air?
When pump lid is off do you see O-ring underneath around it.
if yes lube it up alot before putting back on, if no its sucking air, buy one there cheap.
add water run pump for a few mins and see if prime seems to get better, even if return lines are clogged filter should fillup even with filter top off.
Colino

Postby Colino » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 23:44

The pool's full credits to tropical storm Erin.

I really didn't think about the seal...

I'll try that again.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 00:07

while you are checking lid also take out basket and take your finger or small screwdriver and put down in small hole at bottom and turn impeller to make sure nothing is stopping it from turning. It should move pretty easy.

main thing getting pump primed and circulation.
Colino

Postby Colino » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 14:49

Oh the pump works well. The prob is getting the pump primed well enough. I went out there with a hose half an hour ago to keep on priming it. I made sure to keep the pump lid tight as a drum. The pump would never pick up pool water, just water from the hose. The big breaker is the booster pump. I need to remove that and get a plug or cap for the hole left there.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 16:43

lets do one thing at a time, so for the main pump/motor you said motor is not sucking water from pool.

This could be you have a diverter valve in skimmer hole turned to close position.
go to the skimmer and look or feel if a pipe is sticking out, normal skimmer should only have a hole with threads you can feel.
I assume your skimmer sense older has one hole not two holes.
The diverter valve is used to vacuum pool, meaning you attach to end of vacuum hose put in skimmer and will get suction only from pump and not share suction with bottom drain/skimmer.

If you do have one in there you should be able pull out or turn to open position. Although I have seen them that are metal rust in place. A good pipe wrench normally should turn it if like this.

Also pipe coming out of ground up to front of pump/motor, does it have a ortega valve? I would think not if only pool but if so, make sure it is in open position not closed. Same thing as Diverter valve would work.

If none of this is true, you then need to get air compressor from someone with nozzle that blows air and go to pump basket. Take off lid and the pipe that water inters from stick nozzle with old shirt around it and blow air which should come out at skimmer hole. This will let you know you have no clog.

see what happens and let me know.
Colino

Postby Colino » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 18:44

There are two threaded holes at the bottom of each skimmer, both of them clogged with crap. Time to get someone with an air compressor...

Maybe one pipe at the filter location is for the suction for a pool vac, and the other for the skimmer/main drain
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 19:12

when you have a two hole skimmer the back one nearest wall is suction and yes second one goes to main drain.

you will want to get a pool skimmer diverter and basket in the future to help stop problem.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”