help with bleachcalc

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
darwinsti
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

help with bleachcalc

Postby darwinsti » Thu 16 Aug, 2007 17:32

i must be either illeterate or just stupid. How exactly do i use the bleachcalc? I have an 18 by 4 foot vinal round pool. it is about 2-3 inches from being completely full (my 5 year old got scared with it full up to her chin), and has about 5000 gallon roughly.
I tested my chlorine and ph with the liquid drop tester and the ph is high and the chlorine is really low. The pool is clean as far as not slick or slimy, but i put about 1/2 a bag of the 4-1 shock in it yesterday morning and the pool is now slightly cloudy and very faintly bluish green.
How do i get this right? Because i don't want my kids in there unless it is how it's supposed to be.
Thanks

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Thu 16 Aug, 2007 17:45

Did you add powder-conditioner to water? This is also called cyanuric acid which when added protects your chlorine from the sun.
You can go to your local pool store and buy the conditioner to add which will also lower your ph, being it is a acid.

also clean your filter and run it 8hrs a day.
darwinsti
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby darwinsti » Thu 16 Aug, 2007 17:55

The only thing added was the 4-1 vinal pool shock.
i will try the cyanuric acid. Thanks
darwinsti
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

bleachcalc

Postby darwinsti » Thu 16 Aug, 2007 17:58

I"m still not understanding how to do the bleachcalc. I downloaded it but i have absolutely no idea as to how to use it.Help?
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Thu 16 Aug, 2007 18:51

you would add like chlorine and then do regular chemical testing. poolsolutionsdotcom/grocery.html

I still suggest buying liq chlorine and adding as needed.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 16 Aug, 2007 19:33

I will answer your question.

Bleachcalc is very easy to use. You simply enter your pool volume (there is a handy calculator built in if you don't know) and then the desired rise in ppm of chlorine OR the amount you wish to add (not both).

Example:

Your pool is 20,000 gallons and you are using 6% bleach. Your pool is currently at 3ppm and you want to shock it at 10ppm. You would enter 7 in the "PPM Increase desired" box and click "calculate". The result is 2 Gallons, 1 quart and 3 ounces to achieve a 7ppm rise.

By the same token if you wanted to know what 1 gallon of bleach would do if yo used it all, you enter 1 in "Quantity of bleach". When you click calculate you see that 1 Gallon of 6% bleach would raise a 20,000 gallon pool by 3ppm.

It's a two way calculator. Does that make sense?

Also, you want to keep your CYA between 30 and 50. Test first before adding any as many people already have too much. Bleachcalc will help with CYA too by the way.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
darwinsti
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

thanx

Postby darwinsti » Fri 17 Aug, 2007 07:22

Thanx, i got the bleachcalc now. It tells me to add 1.5 liters of bleach to bring my ppm up. hopefully after the rain passes today i'll be able to get on it.
Thanks for all your help

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”