Please Help!!

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
alexjimenez
I'm new here
I'm new here

Please Help!!

Postby alexjimenez » Fri 31 Aug, 2007 15:25

I am a new owner of a above ground pool. Here are my issues. It started out with a green pool. The pump was dead so i had to replace it. New pump (hayward 1.5 horse) and tons of shock. The pool is now a blue color however i cannot see clearly past the second stair. It is VERY cloudy. I tested the chemicals with a test strip and though i know they are inaccurate it came in as the PH and the TA being low with the Chlorine being off the charts. I put some stuff in to raise the Ph hoping this would help. Any idea of what i can use to get this thing cleared up? I clean out the cartrige filter about once a day. Is there a generic supplement for any chemicals to bring the to normal. IE baking soda, bleach ETC. I have dumped TONS of money in this pool to try to get it up and running but to no avail. This house is a rental so i dont want to get to far into this. Thanks in advance.

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Fri 31 Aug, 2007 16:14

how many gallons? or how big and deep?
When did you start cleaning?
what type of filter?

You need to buy a good test kit that shows
FC-Free Chlorine-level
TC-Total Chlorine
CC-Combined Chlorine
PH-reading
TA-reading
CYA-Conditioner, protects chlorine
CH-Calcium Hardness

Taylor is a good one

Sense you cleaned your filter you should vacuum bottom and depending on filter if sand do it set in waste position on multi-port valve, same for DE if you have MPV or if not DE clean after, cartridge clean after.

I assume you have scrubbed pool walls ect. do it daily until you can see pool is clean of none.
Filtering pool long enough is going to be important 24hrs or until normal and keeping an eye on filter pressure to know if it needs cleaning/backwash again.

As for chemicals you are going to have to keep chlorine levels around 25ppm checking it 2-3 times a day or more and add liquid chlorine to keep it there until algae is gone.

Once you have good chemical kit and know more readings things will get better

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”