messed up fiberglass install

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
beifstu
I'm new here
I'm new here

messed up fiberglass install

Postby beifstu » Mon 03 Sep, 2007 13:39

I'm in the middle of having a fiberglass pool install. they've got the pool in, plumbed and almost completely filled with water and backfilled. now after they started cleaning the dirt off the bottom i have noticed cracks in the gelcoat and paint across all 4 of the steps, 4 cracks across the shallow end from the steps to the wall(about 5 feet long each) and a 1/2 inch chip near the cracks. My installer says that it is only cosmetic and he will finish the install, drain and brace the pool and refinish those areas. He also says the repairs will be much more noticeable than the cracks because the color won't be an exact match. I'm pissed. I paid for a brand new pool and i got a busted one. What are my options? even if they fix the pool it still looks bad. Can I make them undo the work they have done and put in another pool that is undamaged?

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: messed up fiberglass install

Postby Backglass » Mon 03 Sep, 2007 16:17

beifstu wrote:I'm pissed. I paid for a brand new pool and i got a busted one. What are my options? even if they fix the pool it still looks bad. Can I make them undo the work they have done and put in another pool that is undamaged?

If not you, your lawyer can. I would tell the pool installer to rip it all out, re-do it properly...or speak to your lawyer about it. If you dont have one...get one.

I also wouldn't pay him another dime until you are satisfied.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
pool doctor

Postby pool doctor » Wed 26 Sep, 2007 14:49

The cracks should be able to be patched but yes they'll be noticeable. I'd call a lawyer, tear that fiberglass junk out and install a vinyl lined pool.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”