Swimquip Filter?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Headhunter
I'm new here
I'm new here

Swimquip Filter?

Postby Headhunter » Thu 13 Sep, 2007 13:24

Hi All,
A brief into... Recently purchased a new to me home (June 28th 07) and I am now the proud owner of a 20 x 40 in-ground cement, with liner pool.
I have some limited experience with pools, as when I was young, we had an above ground pool.
Managed to make it through the summer without any real challenges, until this past weekend.
I had just finished vacuming the pool, emptied the pump basket, re-primed the system, than back washed. After back-washing, I turned the power off, turned the handle to filter and re-engaged the pump. I noticed immediately that a small stream of water began to flow out of the filter head, immediately below the filter handle.
I've inquired with a number of "pool experts", who have essentially begged off any kind of repair work, as they suggest that they can't get the parts. I understand that it's an "O" ring that must be replaced.
So, here's my questions to you folks;
1. Should I source an "O" ring myself and replace it myself... I'm reasonalby handy (not a great speller lol)
2. Is this a difficult job? Do you require a great deal of background knowledge to do this?
3. Should I just buy a new filter (quoted price of $500.00 Can. including install)
4. If I do go the route of a new filter, should I be looking at a sand filter or a cartrige filter?
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond! I look forward to reading your responses!
HH

pool doctor

Postby pool doctor » Wed 26 Sep, 2007 14:36

sounds like the o-ring on the keystem/ diverter assy inside the multiport valve. Not a hard job. knock the handle pin out and remove the handle, remove the cover screws and take the cover off, the stem that the handle attaches to has a couple of grooves that the o-rings are in. Before you buy them make sure you have the make and model of the valve so you get the right parts.
Headhunter
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Headhunter » Fri 28 Sep, 2007 09:00

Thanks Pool Doctor... since originally posting this question, I've learned that yes, it is an "O" ring I need to replace.
However, after closer inspection of the filter, I found that one side of the base is broken and I suspect that the filter is one it's "last legs"... yes pun intended!LOL
I find myself now considering a new filter, in the spring, and now I'm wrestling with the decision as to whether I go with a sand filter or a cartridge style filter.
Any recommendations?
HH

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”