Problems with skimmer weir...

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
sparkwatercleaner

Problems with skimmer weir...

Postby sparkwatercleaner » Fri 21 Sep, 2007 11:39

Hi. First of all, English isn't my first language, so if I am a bit unclear please apologise me.

My pool is almost new (8 months) I keep having some problems with the skimmer weir.
1- When we get into the pool, the waves we make while swimming make the skimmer weir open and close, so it hits pretty hard on its stop*(the part of the skimmer that prevents the weir form opening in the opposite direction, towards the pool). After a while, the weir will come out of the skimmer and start floating around, so all the dirt that was inside the skimmer gets out of it, which is very very annoying. Also, the skimmer is new and there is no way this has been caused by time. How do I stop it from doing this? Any ideas?
2- When the pump stops, some dirt can get out of the skimmer through the gap that is left between the weir and the skimmer wall.Is this normal?
3- Yes, there IS another problem too! When the pump is on and the skimmer is working, the weir just sinks too much, so efficiency is not good. I can tell this because I tried to stick stuff that floats on the weir, and I've seen that efficiency is improved. But the problem is that whatever I stick it with eventually loses its sticking power. Any suggestions? Also, is there anything I can stick the weir with that may be submerged all the time?

*(Tell me if this is not how it's called)

I'll thank any help you can provide!

chrisinspring

Postby chrisinspring » Fri 21 Sep, 2007 17:10

The gap is normal. If the weir is flat, make sure that you have enough water in the pool (mid part of the skimmer opening) and that your main drain is also open. If that doesn't help, you can buy after-market weirs.
sparkwatercleaner

Postby sparkwatercleaner » Sun 23 Sep, 2007 14:37

ok, but how do I stop it from comming out?
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sun 23 Sep, 2007 15:29

when you take apart skimmer weir there should be a spring that is inside bar & it is probably bad. This makes pressure to hold it in place, you can either try to buy new spring or new weir assembly. Take skimmer weir with you to pool store so they have a easier time fixing or replacing it.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”