Pool Woes

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Grimes
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool Woes

Postby Grimes » Tue 30 Oct, 2007 16:51

I'm not really a new pool owner. Infact, the pool isn't technically mine, but my parent's. For quite a few years they had a pool guy who was pretty fantastic, and everything was great. The water was always balanced and clean, and he charged a reasonable fee. He moved away about a year or so ago, and my parents hired a guy who seemed to do an okay job. One problem that they've had with him, however, is that the pool now steadily loses water. They have to refill it constantly, and he claims it's because there's "a rip in the lining". Yesterday, we found the pool half-full with all the equipment running. My brother shut the stuff off, and we started filling the pool immediately. We got a call a day or so later claiming "the pool pump is broken because someone shut off the equipment". I have a feeling this guy really has no idea what he's talking about, and I'm curious if any of this stuff is reasonable. Would a tear in the liner cause the pool to drain hundreds of liters? Should we seek someone new? How much should a pump cost for a 30,000 liter pool? (I believe it's that large)

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Tue 30 Oct, 2007 20:41

I'm not really a new pool owner. Infact, the pool isn't technically mine, but my parent's. For quite a few years they had a pool guy who was pretty fantastic, and everything was great. The water was always balanced and clean, and he charged a reasonable fee. He moved away about a year or so ago, and my parents hired a guy who seemed to do an okay job. One problem that they've had with him, however, is that the pool now steadily loses water. They have to refill it constantly, and he claims it's because there's "a rip in the lining". Yesterday, we found the pool half-full with all the equipment running. My brother shut the stuff off, and we started filling the pool immediately. We got a call a day or so later claiming "the pool pump is broken because someone shut off the equipment". I have a feeling this guy really has no idea what he's talking about, and I'm curious if any of this stuff is reasonable. Would a tear in the liner cause the pool to drain hundreds of liters? Should we seek someone new? How much should a pump cost for a 30,000 liter pool? (I believe it's that large)

Yes, their poolman is not "crazy" if the liner has a hole or tear in the liner it will leak water & depending where it is, will leak until it passes the hole.
Have your parents call a liner company who can repair it or they will keep loosing water.

The equipment that went bad would be the pump & motor do to it running dry with no water circulating. Depending on how long it ran without water you may only need to replace the motor,but if it ran to long then the whole unit as one with the pump going bad.

size of motor or pump & motor will determine cost.
Normally a 1hp motor is $180-$200
the whole unit 1hp $450-$500

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”