Pool shocking

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Florida

Pool shocking

Postby Florida » Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:08

1) How much liquid chlorine should I apply to a 25,000 gal ground pool to shock it? (Don't want to use the Thriclor - stabilizer is getting high)

2) What is the best liquid chlorine to buy? I have noticed that Pinch & Penny is darker (I am buying that one) and seams more effective than Leslie's... Is the one of Walmart any better?

3) How many times can a clarifier be applied (Instructions say 1 onz x 6,000 gal and not to apply more because would create adverse effect). I have applied 4 onz one day, but still cloudy. Can I apply it again?

4) Will applying algecide be really necesary, or Chlorine should be enough to control algae growth? If it is necessary, when should it be applied (have heard that is kind of useless once the algae is already there; that it is mostly for preventing growth).

Thanks.

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Thu 15 Nov, 2007 17:17

1) How much liquid chlorine should I apply to a 25,000 gal ground pool to shock it? (Don't want to use the Thriclor - stabilizer is getting high)

2) What is the best liquid chlorine to buy? I have noticed that Pinch & Penny is darker (I am buying that one) and seams more effective than Leslie's... Is the one of Walmart any better?

3) How many times can a clarifier be applied (Instructions say 1 onz x 6,000 gal and not to apply more because would create adverse effect). I have applied 4 onz one day, but still cloudy. Can I apply it again?

4) Will applying algecide be really necesary, or Chlorine should be enough to control algae growth? If it is necessary, when should it be applied (have heard that is kind of useless once the algae is already there; that it is mostly for preventing growth).

The amount depends on what your chlorine is at right now?
What you want to do is get it to shock level which is 24ppm & keep it there until pool is clear running "cleaned" filter 24/7.
You need to check chlorine level 3-4 times a day so shock level does not drop.
Some people buy a couple bags of shock to start out (1-bag per 10,000 gal)then add liquide chlorine to keep boosted just depends on prices in your area & chemical readings for your pool.
once you have algae taken care of clarifier should not be needed.

Postby Guest » Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:28

I would say drain some water to lower conditioner level and stick with the tabs. If not, check into using dichlor. It's more expensive, but won't affect your pH level, so you'll save money not having to buy much acid. Also, toss the clarifier. Make sure you're filter is working right, make sure it is clean, run your filter 8 hrs a day, and keep chlorine in the water. As for the algae, add some high doses of chlorine, and brush the pool. After running the pump for 48 hrs. clean the filter and check your chemicals.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 29 Dec, 2007 03:01

Do NOT use Dichlor as your primary source of chlorine nor for shocking. For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also adds 9 ppm to CYA. This is even worse than Trichlor where for every 10 ppm FC added by Trichlor it adds 6 ppm to CYA.

Unless you have a very small pool with frequent backwashing of the filter, then you are unlikely to dilute enough to keep CYA levels low. Instead, once you are at a desired CYA level, use unstabilized chlorine such as unscented bleach or chlorinating liquid (sodium hypochlorite). If you keep the pool's Total Alkalinity (TA) level lower, to 70 or 80, then using the hypochlorite sources of chlorine is actually pH neutral. This is because the initial rise in pH is compensated by the lowering of the pH as the chlorine gets used up (since that is an acidic process).

Richard

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”