Vinyl liner / salt water conversion / other rookie questions

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
pag_yaker
I'm new here
I'm new here

Vinyl liner / salt water conversion / other rookie questions

Postby pag_yaker » Tue 25 Apr, 2006 14:45

First of all, I want to thank all of you experienced pool owners for answering the same questions again and again - us newbies appreciate it. :) Now it's my turn.

The home/pool in question is in Largo, FL. It's enclosed in a bird cage, is never covered, and is "open" year round. It has a 23' x 14' in ground pool (vinyl liner) - it appears to be 4' deep. The pool was built in 1983. I'm under the assumption that this is the original liner. All appears to be in good working order, and the current owner has disclosed that to her knowledge it doesn't leak, etc. We're going back tonight to see the house again, and I'll be paying special attention to the pool, since we've never owned a pool home. Time for some questions ...

Is there anything in particular I should look for around the pump/filter/etc ?

Should the age of the liner be a concern ?

Can a vinyl liner be replaced, and if so, roughly how much will that cost ?

Can anyone share some experience/data concerning converting a pool to salt water ?

Thanks in advance for any/all comments.

prog

buy a used pool

Postby prog » Tue 25 Apr, 2006 15:12

Is there anything in particular I should look for around the pump/filter/etc ?

Look for general signs of wear or deterioration - rust, water leaks, scaling on the ground that would suggest previous leaks.

Should the age of the liner be a concern ? Can a vinyl liner be replaced?

20 something years is old for a liner. If the liner looks tired, is stained or shows signs of wear it can easily be replaced.

Can anyone share some experience/data concerning converting a pool to salt water ?

Plumb it in, throw in some salt and turn it on. Works a treat!
pag_yaker
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby pag_yaker » Tue 25 Apr, 2006 15:57

Thanks for the tips !

Concerning that "easily replaced" comment about the liner ... exactly how is that done ?

And, what would be a ballpark idea of how much it'd cost ? It does look a little "tired" (good term).

Postby Guest » Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:28

OK, we went back to the house last night (making the offer tomorrow night) and I snapped some pictures of the pool equipment. I labeled some of the components and hopefully you folks can tell me what they are. And, if this equipment looks to be out-dated or in bad shape, please let me know. THANKS !

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”