New Pool Cloudy - Pump not set up yet

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.

New Pool Cloudy - Pump not set up yet

Postby Guest » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 09:46

I have had a swimming pool put in. Dark gray plaster. They came and plastered yesterday and started filling the pool. It looked like it was being filled with skim milk, which I was told was some kind of residue off of the plaster.

I have dark plaster. The instruction sheet said I need to brush the pool at least once a day until all of this cloudyness is gone. The quesiton is, I called the pool supply place to have them come out and do the intial setup and mentioned all of this - but they're not coming until Monday.

This morning I woke up to see if the pool was filled yet. It was, so I cut the water off and most of the white residue had settled to the bottom. There is a TON of this stuff in there. I brushed it this morning, per the instructions, but it just made the water so cloudy I couldn't see where I had brushed after a while.

Should the filter be running?

Walter
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Walter » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 14:04

Not sure where you are located, I know we brush with the pumps running and we keep them on for 2 weeks for 24 hours until we add Salt to the pool. I would say yes but your pool company should have told you.
We are a custom pool and spa builder. We can only offer suggestions with the information given. Don't hesitate to email me if you have a questions and I will answer it as best as I can or point you in the right direction.

Postby Guest » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 15:08

Walter wrote:Not sure where you are located, I know we brush with the pumps running and we keep them on for 2 weeks for 24 hours until we add Salt to the pool. I would say yes but your pool company should have told you.

Well, they told me to brush the pool

twice a day, but the dust just settles back down to the bottom of the pool in about an hour. Doesn't seem like that's doing much good without getting that dust out of the pool?

They're supposed to come Monday to do the startup, but I read where this dust has screwed up dark plaster finishes in just a couple of days. Also, it get's so cloudy after I brush about 1/3 of teh pool, I can't see what's left to brush.

When the dust settles, it looks like I have a white plastered pool - there is just a TON of that dust in the bottom.
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 17:41

Pool should be running. The company should have started it up immediately- not more than a day after it was full. The dust has to filter out and the company REALLY needs to get the pH down before the dust begins to cause scale on your walls and tile. Keep brushing though! Use a nylon brush. Even if you cant see guesstimate where you have already brushed. Its better than not brushing at all. Colored plaster is SO EASY to screw up. You need to tell your company to come out tomorrow or sat. If they refuse and the plaster gets screwed up then you need to raise hell with them.

Postby Guest » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 21:26

I called and they did come out and turn on the pump - so that is working. Light's not working - different issue - maybe I'm not supposed to turn it on yet anyways...

They didn't do any chemicals that I know of today, but the pump is running and I brushed it again just now. Some spots I can't get with the nylon brush provided - thinking about getting in and doing it by hand - the plaster job looked so nice before the pool was filled I'd hate for it to ruin...

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”