New pool owner with green pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
louisiana-girl

New pool owner with green pool

Postby louisiana-girl » Sun 04 May, 2008 19:45

We recently bought a home with an in-ground pool with a vinyl liner. I think the pool is 12,000 gallons. It was clear and nice when we moved in and then everything went downhill. These are the numbers I have from the water analysis at the pool store. BTW - the recommendations they made have not helped at all.
Free Chlorine - 0.1
Total Chlorine - 0.1
PH - 6.5
Hardness - 40
Alkalinity - 0
CYA - 140
Copper - 3.43
Iron - 0.41
Nitrate - 12.00

Can you help? Nothing I have done has worked and I know very little. I am interested in the BBB method. The money I have put in chemicals to this point seems ridiculous. Thanks for your help :?

louisiana-girl

additional info

Postby louisiana-girl » Sun 04 May, 2008 20:11

I went to the pool capicity calculator and found out that my pool is actually 26,600 gallons. It has a sand filter. Hope this helps

Postby Guest » Sun 04 May, 2008 21:25

I'd start off with a couple drain refills because the CYA is really high! It needs to be between 30-50. Partial drain/refills is the only way to lower CYA.

So start with that and then we can go from there. :wink:

Postby Guest » Wed 07 May, 2008 09:47

I have drained the pool 2/3 of the way down and am currently refilling it. What should i do next?
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Wed 07 May, 2008 16:38

once you have conditioner in range you need to get chlorine level at shock range of 20ppm & keep it there checking levels 2-3 times a day running filter/pump 24/7 until clear. Backwash filter when pressure rises & brush pool walls 1-2 times a day. Once clear balance the rest of chemicals as PH & TA should be higher 7.5-7.6/80-120.
njshorepools
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

green tint, or algae?

Postby njshorepools » Sun 11 May, 2008 13:52

Hey L-girl...

Once u get that cya down to the right level.. buy your self a bottel of NATURAL CHEMISTYS POOL PERFECT WITH PHOS FREE. Stuff is amazing. all natural, makes water silky smooth, and it removes phosphates from water which is a main food source for algae.. for your pool u would need 3 cap fulls a week... i also agree with the guy above me about shocking the pool, backwashing and brushing. sand filters are the slowest at clearing a pool... have patience....once its clear make sure u stay on top of it... shock it one a week ( 2-3lbs) add your algaecide.. and new chlorine tabs... make sure u bring up that Ph and TA
a SAFE pool is a HAPPY pool...

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”