Hayward Heater: Millivolt vs. Electronic

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
coldmark
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby coldmark » Fri 16 May, 2008 08:38

My dealer sold me a Hayward H200 pool heater with millivolt ignition. He said that's the only ones they sell because you don't have to hook it up to electricity. I have a millivolt heater in my ice shack and it can be a pain to light at times but I do like it.

Will I be happy with the millivolt heater or should I get the electric model?

Postby Guest » Fri 16 May, 2008 13:11

I would get the electric. With a millivolt model the pilot has to stay lit all the time and can be a real pain in lighting especially when it gets dirty inside the heater.
greg340
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby greg340 » Fri 16 May, 2008 21:18

No you won't be happy with the Hayward millivolt heater.I've worked on almost every brand heater out there and I think its the worst design ever, low profile, very hard to light pilot (the little starter button will be useless in a year). The low voltage means more problems with things like wire ends. I would recommend a electronic ignition heater. They have a digital readout, no guessing what temp its at or where its set and are self diagnostic. Wiring them is very simple and they can be wired into your time clock if you have one
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Fri 16 May, 2008 22:24

I agree- IID all the way.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience

Hayward millivolt or electric

Postby Guest » Sat 24 May, 2008 02:09

I've had a Hayward H200 millivolt system for several years... can't recall when I installed it but it has been at least 5 years. The only problem I've had is that the pilot will occasionally go out in very high winds. However, the igniter has worked fine and I have no problem relighting it when necessary. If you're already wired up electrically, then it is a moot point. Otherwise, the millivolt system will save you the additional cost of wiring.
boabrian

Postby boabrian » Fri 29 May, 2009 17:57

I cant get my hayward electric igniton to light its brand new i can smell the gas and dont see any place to light it from
new guy ohio

Postby new guy ohio » Wed 17 Jun, 2009 18:20

I have a five-year-old H200 millivolt...it is somewhat difficult to light in the spring. This year it started giving me a new problem that I've yet to diagnose. When I turn the "temperature dial", the heater will not "kick-on" until I am nearly at the highest heat setting, no matter what the water temperature is. I'm hoping that I just need a new burbon (spelled wrong) tube??? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Crimson
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Crimson » Fri 19 Jun, 2009 11:06

You guys can have some of my hot water.. 90+ water temp in Tampa, FL area.. it sucks both ways.. too hot or too cold..
cold water

Postby cold water » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 16:26

new guy ohio wrote:I have a five-year-old H200 millivolt...it is somewhat difficult to light in the spring. This year it started giving me a new problem that I've yet to diagnose. When I turn the "temperature dial", the heater will not "kick-on" until I am nearly at the highest heat setting, no matter what the water temperature is. I'm hoping that I just need a new burbon (spelled wrong) tube??? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have a similar problem. The pilot is lit and the burners kick on at a low temperature. As soon as I turn the control knob to a higher heat setting, the burners shut off. When I turn the knob back to cool (within the blue zone), the burners kick on again. Any ideas?
superdoopie
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby superdoopie » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 19:29

boabrian wrote:I cant get my hayward electric igniton to light its brand new i can smell the gas and dont see any place to light it from

You don't have to light a pilot on the electronic ignition heaters. There is a spark that lights the pilot whenever it calls for heat. Do you hear a clicking sound?

cold water wrote:
new guy ohio wrote:I have a five-year-old H200 millivolt...it is somewhat difficult to light in the spring. This year it started giving me a new problem that I've yet to diagnose. When I turn the "temperature dial", the heater will not "kick-on" until I am nearly at the highest heat setting, no matter what the water temperature is. I'm hoping that I just need a new burbon (spelled wrong) tube??? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have a similar problem. The pilot is lit and the burners kick on at a low temperature. As soon as I turn the control knob to a higher heat setting, the burners shut off. When I turn the knob back to cool (within the blue zone), the burners kick on again. Any ideas?

Sounds like you two might need the temp probe/sensor replaced. You can do a resistance test with a digital volt meter to see if the probes are sensing the correct temp. Refer to mfg instructions for these specs.

Postby Guest » Tue 22 Dec, 2009 15:58

It sounds like your pot senser is going bad-- To test it you have to get to the back of the control panel where it is plugged in and pull the plug.Then with the heater on lick your finger and touch the two prongs where the pot was plugged in (this will create the resistance of the senser )and hold till the heater lights--about 3 to 9 seconds--If it lights its your pot senser if not its your panel --- KEN

Postby Guest » Tue 22 Dec, 2009 18:00

Great tip Ken

rich

Postby rich » Sun 20 Jun, 2010 08:08

HAS ANYONE HAD THE PROBLEM OF THE PILOT LIGHT NOT STAYING ON AFTER YOU RELEASE THE
PILOT BUTTON?

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”