how dumb is this hayward filter question?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
taurusnyy
I'm new here
I'm new here

how dumb is this hayward filter question?

Postby taurusnyy » Mon 19 May, 2008 11:49

I have a hayward cartridge filter and had it installed over the weekend- I was not there and installer could not turn it on due to the power box being off.
Anyway I was looking at the filter and noticed the section where air is blowing( i think the pump) into says on the cover fill with water before using filter (sorry going off of memory. Now does this mean that I have to put water into the pump itself at the moment it just blows air- though I noticed that when taking stuff out of the skimmer and closing ths kimmer clover for a lil that water filled up in the pump. Anyway hopefully I made sense- any help or if you need more info let me know.

Postby Guest » Mon 19 May, 2008 11:58

On top of the filter there should be a filter gauge with an air relief valve. With the equipment off, open the air relief valve and start the equipment. If all is working right, air will blow out of the valve as the pump primes. When water comes out of the valve, close it and you're good to go.

The pump is not designed to run dry. Whenever you open the pump lid to clean the pump basket, fill with water and then close the lid. Then follow the directions I mentioned above and the pump should prime.

When the pump primes, the reading on the filter gauge will go up.

Post again is this made no sense to you.

Postby Guest » Mon 19 May, 2008 16:17

First thank you for responding and I will try it tonight. Just to make sure I understand the steps properly.
Power off filter
Open the pump lid.
Clear Basket
Fill with water- Am I filling it to the top with regular water?
Turn valve till water comes out-should gauge be at max?
Turn on filter.

Now is this a one time thing or am I always supposed to keep putting water in pump when I see its low?

Ill try steps tonight and let you know results. Thanks again

Postby Guest » Tue 20 May, 2008 00:04

Anonymous wrote:First thank you for responding and I will try it tonight. Just to make sure I understand the steps properly.
Power off filter
Open the pump lid.
Clear Basket
Fill with water- Am I filling it to the top with regular water?
Turn valve till water comes out-should gauge be at max?
Turn on filter.

Now is this a one time thing or am I always supposed to keep putting water in pump when I see its low?

Ill try steps tonight and let you know results. Thanks again

Almost.
Filter off.
Open pump lid.
Clean basket.
Fill with water from garden hose. Hard to fill all the way because it will flow backwards into the suction line.
Put lid back on.
Start filter.
Then open relief valve.
When pump is primed water should come out of the valve.
Close valve.
The valve will be at or near it's peak.
You do this anytime you open the pump to clean the basket.
The pump should be self priming so when it starts up it will prime itself.
Only when you add air (by opening the lid) will it need some help to get primed.

I hope this was a bit clearer. It isn't as complicated as it sounds.

Postby Guest » Tue 20 May, 2008 10:42

ok well I guess I was wrong the pump was filled with water...i opened the top after turning off the pump. Water came gushing out. I noticed that the hose that came from the skimmer had a valve on it to turn off. I turned that valve and the water seemed to over flow at a slower pace but still seemed to coming out- seemed as if it was draining the water from the skimmer/pool. I I pulled out the basket to dump some leaves from it but the entire pump was filled with water, i closed the lid with water flowing out. There was an air bubble at the top. I turned the relief valve and air came out and eventually water came out as well.

My question is how do I clean that basket if its always filled with water like that?
( I guess the pump had so much water in it that it looked empty- I know dumb )

WHat did I do wrong or differently from others who want to clear out there pumps?
Will the air bubble cause any issues or eventually clear out?

Thanks for your help.

Postby Guest » Tue 20 May, 2008 18:18

Sounds like the pump is lower than the pool. You won't have to worry much about priming the pump in that situation.

You're doing it right. With that valve closed you are getting a bit of water coming backwards from the filter. Not a big deal.

The air bubbles will clear and aren't a problem.

Postby Guest » Wed 21 May, 2008 08:51

Yes I think im good thanks for your help - u live and learn.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”