How to keep a 4'x8' 200-gal inflatable from getting slimy?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
m_and_d_in_fl
I'm new here
I'm new here

How to keep a 4'x8' 200-gal inflatable from getting slimy?

Postby m_and_d_in_fl » Sat 24 May, 2008 17:05

I know this forum deals more with "real" pools, but hopefully someone will help point me in the right direction. We have two little kids and an enclosed porch so we got an inflatable pool that measures 4'x8' interior measurements and holds about 1 foot of water. It did not come with a pump/filter. It has a cover to keep debris out.

We got some Aqua Chem "Small Pool Santizer" ("available chlorine: 55%") and some chlorine test strips. We add chlorine and and can get the chlorine in the OK level, but then a couple of days later there isn't enough chlorine to even measure on the test strips and the bottom and sidewalls of the pool feel slimy. We would prefer not to have to change the water and wash out the pool each time we want to let the kids splash around!

So, any suggestions??? Should we be adding chlorine each day? Should we use a filter/pump? If we need a filter/pump, any suggestions on finding the appropriate one for such a small little pool?

Thank you SOOO much for any assistance you can give for our silly little questions! :-) Dianne

tinkerbelle04
I'm new here
I'm new here

same question, larger scale

Postby tinkerbelle04 » Sat 24 May, 2008 18:53

I have almost the same question, on a larger scale. I want to get an Intex 10 foot x 30 inch pool. I will be the only one in it, I will get a cover for it, and I want to know what chemicals to buy and what to do to maintain it without hooking up a filter, I don't have the proper electrical connection outside and don't wish to spend the money to install one.

Thanks anyone!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”