Bottom Skimmer? water issues

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
aniken
I'm new here
I'm new here

Bottom Skimmer? water issues

Postby aniken » Tue 27 May, 2008 12:20

Please help....

Recently purchased a home with a neglected in ground pool. (40'*30', 9' on the deep end.) The bottom of the pool was in dire need of cleaning and repainting so we drained the pool and went to work with the local Sherwin Williams at getting it repainted. That part is now finished with the exception of around the bottom skimmer? It continues to seep water back into the pool. It doesn't seem to add any more than 1' or 2' of water to the very bottom but I can't figure out on my own as to why this is happening or where the water is coming from???

Should I start the pump, (Triton high volume sand with Multiport) and try to remove by waste? The pool is still empty of water but we want to fill up this weekend.

Very new to pools and only know what I've learned from reading here so far.

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Tue 27 May, 2008 17:58

When you say the bottom skimmer do you mean the main drain at the bottom of the pool? Some main drains have what is called a hydrostatic plug in the bottom. When you get alot of water under the pool these relieve the pressure under the pool from the water so your pool doesn't float. Are you in a high water table area or have you had alot of rain lately?
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience
aniken
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby aniken » Tue 27 May, 2008 21:34

Not sure. I guess from reading what I have so far, I've just figured it was a skimmer... No cover over the hole and upon getting all the water removed from it there appears to be a smaller line connected to the hole just inside on the left heading towards the pump area of the pool. The pool itself is located on the high side of our land, maybe ten foot above the low side but it is deep at 9'. Is there a way for me to tell ? Does this create an issue?

Many thanks for the advice.
Duffy

Postby Duffy » Fri 30 May, 2008 20:48

If this is a deep end main drain I would say plug it and wait.

Main botton drains where always a problem after 20 years. Contractors who put them in should have never done so.

I'm not sure what you are trying to solve. If you have a built in light in the wall plug that also. Danger Will Robinson.

Most 20 x40 size pools only need one skimmer...
aniken
I'm new here
I'm new here

PLEASE HELP...

Postby aniken » Fri 30 May, 2008 21:06

Thanks for the reply.

I've plugged the drain and filled the pool.. btw there is a light installed in the wall but it appears burnt out a long time ago and I have yet to deal with it, the breaker in the panel is turned off.

New Problem... I've started the pump it the more I get into dealing with this pool the more I think the previous homeowner left me nothing but problems.

There is a Triton T60 high rate sand filter with a decent pump and mulitport attached to PVC lines from both skimmers (bottom skimmer is out) The problem is that even after six hours of working on this thing, I can't seem to keep the filter primed.. I've checked for air leaks at every point that I have access to, the flow return to the pool is horrible and seems to come and go and the intake from the skimmer is the same. Sometimes working at a great rate then the next minute seems to not work at all. Turning the system to backwash is much of the same. Rinse... same, Recirculate.... same.

Please help, I've going nuts here.
smcrea
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby smcrea » Fri 18 Jul, 2008 16:44

Duffy wrote:If this is a deep end main drain I would say plug it and wait.

Main botton drains where always a problem after 20 years. Contractors who put them in should have never done so.

I'm not sure what you are trying to solve. If you have a built in light in the wall plug that also. Danger Will Robinson.

Most 20 x40 size pools only need one skimmer...

Hi Duffy,

I was going through the forum search looking for instances on drains and came across your reference.

We are getting our new pool built and break ground in about a week. The pool is free form and about 34' longest by 14' at widest and 3.5 to 7' deep.

The plan was to have two skimmers one at each end and no main drain. then I read that main drains are good because they:
- help reduce dead zones of none circulating water
- Help to filter the smaller particles
- Give a better overall distribution of heated water from the solar array as they will pump out the cold water.

Then I read your comment that bottom drains are not a good idea. Could you tell me why?

Many Thanks!

Steve.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”