can too much chlorine cause?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.

can too much chlorine cause?

Postby newbie » Tue 09 May, 2006 23:34

hi i am a pool newbie. I have a de filter with my pool. After a month, i noticed that the sides and floors are turning rough. Could too much chlorine cause this? unde4filtration? Any help would be very highly appreciated!

Thanks! :D

mikethepoolguy

Postby mikethepoolguy » Wed 17 May, 2006 22:04

This is usually caused by the water hardness level being too low, or the Ph being too low. If the water hardness is below 200ppm the water will pull hardness out of the plaster and pit it....
shyr
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby shyr » Fri 19 May, 2006 11:53

A certain amount is necessary in water to control its tendency to dissolve. If too little is present in a pool, the water will attack the materials of construction to satisfy its appetite. Hardness treatment will increase low water hardness and prevent etching, pitting and corrosion of surfaces and metallic components
bullfrogspas
John

Postby John » Sun 04 Jun, 2006 12:20

Same thing happened to me. You need to find out if the issue is pitting or is it scale? My issue turned out to be scale and was caused by the total hardness , over a winter, being too low.

I fixed this with a scale softener from my local pool supply house and a stainless steele brush. You use the brush just as you would a nylon bristle brush, that is: just let the weight of the brush do the work. Try not to apply any additional pressure on the brush. Brush down all sides and the bottom of the pool. What will happen is that the water will become VERY cloudy and you will need to filter almost constantly because of the loosened scale. When you back wash, backwash to waste. The process may take a week or two to resolve but if you are diligent, you will smoothe out the surfaces.

The brush will not hurt your plaster. The brush is usually used for tenacious algea but it does the trick for scale as well. Good luck!!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”