SWG with automatic pool cover

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
KMM

Postby KMM » Wed 27 Aug, 2008 21:28

I have signed a contract for installation and expect construction to begin in the next two weeks. I am still up in the air regarding sanitation. The pool will include an automatic safety cover, and our builder says he has concerns with using such a cover with salt water generators. He feels that salt water pools need to "breathe", and that corrosion issues can therefore be a bigger concern with pools having automatic safety covers. He has recommended the nature 2 system instead, but that technology seems concerning to me (excessive metals in the pool). So many others are thrilled with their SWG's, that I'm inclined to go that route. Does anybody have any input on the this issue? Should we be concerned about corrosion when using an automatic safety cover with a salt water pool?

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 28 Aug, 2008 02:02

It's not the fact that the pool is covered that is the problem but that the aluminum typically used for the tracks and header are prone to corrosion in saltier water. However, this is easily mitigated by having a buried magnesium sacrificial anode electrically connected to the bonding wire that should be connected to these aluminum parts. The anode needs to be replaced every year or two as it gets used up, but it will protect everything connected to the bonding wire from getting corroded (or at least will slow it down quite a bit).
KMM

Postby KMM » Thu 28 Aug, 2008 17:54

Thanks, ChemGeek. You always seem to have great advice. With this as an issue, would you recommend a saltwater pool over the Nature 2 system?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 28 Aug, 2008 18:43

Nature2 works better for spas than for pools (and you are right to be concerned about metal staining), but you should be able to manage your pool with chlorinating liquid or bleach alone. That's why I do in my pool that has an opaque electric safety cover. I only have to add 12.5% chlorinating liquid twice a week and it costs me about $15 per month for a 16,000 gallon pool that is used for 1-2 hours every day.

I suggest you read more about managing your pool

Richard

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”