Can I turn a light pebble tec pool into a 'black bottom'pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
dgperilman

Can I turn a light pebble tec pool into a 'black bottom'pool

Postby dgperilman » Sat 06 Sep, 2008 12:43

I have a very large 25K gallon pool with pebble tec (just got this house) and it has solar. The solar inspection said they were working fine but I have very large trees that have grown up since they were installed. Therefore, I was trying to figure out how to warm up the water without turning on the heater. I live in San Anselmo, CA which can be pretty warm (especially now we are having a heat wave). I was wondering if the pebble tec on the bottom and sides of the pool can be "painted" a dark color so that it will grab and hold the heat better? Does any one know?
Thanks,
~g

carolyn
I'm new here
I'm new here

Paint Pool

Postby carolyn » Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:28

:evil: Do Not, repeat, DO NOT paint your pool! Hopefully, you have not done this. Painting a pool is never a good idea. It doesn't make any difference if you have always kept the chemicals balanced and the pool clean. Within 1 to 3 years, the paint will be peeling, chipping and fading. Yuck! The you will be draining the pool and repainting it. The old paint will have to be scraped up first. Then you have the cost, on top of cost of the paint and labor, of refilling the pool. The cost of a heater will pay for itself long before you get tired of repainting the pool. Pebble Tech good - Paint Bad. If you have any more questions, just email me. I'll be happy to help you.
John
Blue Ribbon Underwater Pool Repair
20 yrs. in business
Love is respect and caring. Without it, we are not human.
carolyn
I'm new here
I'm new here

Paint Pool

Postby carolyn » Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:39

:evil: Do Not, repeat, DO NOT paint your pool! Hopefully, you have not done this. Painting a pool is never a good idea. It doesn't make any difference if you have always kept the chemicals balanced and the pool clean. Within 1 to 3 years, the paint will be peeling, chipping and fading. Yuck! The you will be draining the pool and repainting it. The old paint will have to be scraped up first. Then you have the cost, on top of cost of the paint and labor, of refilling the pool. The cost of a heater will pay for itself long before you get tired of repainting the pool. Pebble Tec good - Paint Bad. If you have any more questions, just email me. I'll be happy to help you.
John
Blue Ribbon Underwater Pool Repair
20 yrs. in business
Love is respect and caring. Without it, we are not human.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”