Buying a house with existing swimming pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
au0rey

Buying a house with existing swimming pool

Postby au0rey » Tue 30 Sep, 2008 20:06

Hi everybody! We saw a house recently which we like. However, it comes with a rectangular swimming pool. We have never had a pool before and have no idea what to expect.

I hope everybody who are experienced can give me an idea of what to do when it comes to having a pool. It does not have any sort of heating and we experience the four seasons here in Melbourne Australia.

1. What sort of maintenance is there throughout the seasons? Is it like a weekly or monthly or quarterly thing?
2. Is maintenance costly? Such as any tools/materials/equipment needed to invest?
3. What are the pros and cons of having a pool?
4. What are the things/issues/problems that we have to be on the lookout for with having a pool?
5. Can a pool stay dry and unused for long periods such as months if we do not want to use it? Will that cause any damage to the pool?

Thanks!

carolyn
I'm new here
I'm new here

New Pool

Postby carolyn » Sun 09 Nov, 2008 16:20

I just joined this forum and you have either bought the house with the pool or not. Either way, I want to answer your questions and ask you a few. First thing, what kind of pool is it - gunite, fiberglass or above ground?

I see you are an Aussie. I am a Native Texan so we "share" the same type of weather - hot to cold and everything in between. Climate is a big factor so I will be generic.
1. Maintenance - This depends on a lot of things. The usual maintenance is vacuuming, keeping water chemicals balanced, adding chemicals and checking equipment. If you don't have a heater or will not be using the pool in cold weather, maintenance is minimal.
2. Cost - I don't know about Australia but in Texas you can expect to pay upward to $200.00 a month. This will depend on the type of pool and the usage. You can do it for a fraction of the cost. You really can. It's not hard. I'll tell you how later.
3. Pros and Cons - Pros are many and if you do it right, the cons will be few.
4. Things/issues/problems - Some of this goes to the age of the pool and how well it was kept. If you keep the pool sparkling, you can still have weather related problems, etc.
5. Pool stay dry - If it is dry (empty?), it is not a pool. It is a big concrete hole. If a gunite pool is drained, you will have a disaster unless you are having it replastered. If that is the case, it better be done quickly. A fiberglass pool can flat pop out of the ground. Don't ever empty a pool unless you plan to take it out or fill it up with dirt.
I hope this helps.
Carolyn
Blue Ribbon Underwater Pool Repair
Love is respect and caring. Without it, we are not human.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”