Pool Level Low and Won't Refill

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
ihatepools (not really, just right now)

Postby ihatepools (not really, just right now) » Tue 03 Mar, 2009 21:28

inground pool, 15K gallons...

I have a spillover section in my pool... it is bone dry.... also, my pool is down about 3 inches from where it should be and is not refilling... my waterfall pump will not stay filled with water, my pool filter is ok....

but, won't fill back to the proper level... i have tried unlocking the basket and re-sealing.... but I cannot get any pressure apparently to push water back to the pool. How do I get water going to the pool so it fills back up on it's own? or do i just have to stick a hose in there and fill it?

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Wed 04 Mar, 2009 00:03

Well, I guess you must have an autofill from what you say? Are all the valves open or did you tune 1 or more off for winter? Is the pool leaking or was it drained for the winter? In other words why do you think the pool levels are down. The pumps are not working because they probably sucking air in due to low water levels.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Wed 04 Mar, 2009 01:24

If the spillover section is above the pool level then a faulty check valve may be allowing the water to drain out back to the lower level. There is also, apparently, not enough water in the pool. Fill the pool and spillover section with a hose and then try running the pump.

The waterfall pump might not be primed. Fill it (and the suction line if possible) with a hose and then try running the waterfall once more. If it fills with air then repeat until it "takes"; you may need to do this 2 or 3 times.

If you give us information about your autofill someone may be able to offer you advice on how to get it working.

Postby ihatepools (not really, just right now) » Wed 04 Mar, 2009 01:47

thanks for the responses! on the filling switch box the red light is on (next to the green light it says "filling") but the yellow light is also on and next to it it says "sensor" (so both lights are on at the same time).

The filling system is "Levelor" by Milennium. There is very little pressure that i can feel when i put my hand in front of the pumps in the pool, barely any air getting pushed out at all.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin

Postby Larry » Wed 04 Mar, 2009 03:05

Here's a quick rundown on the Levelor lights and what they mean:

• Green - power. This should be on if the unit is working. If the green light is off the unit needs a service.
  • Yellow - low water level. This lights up when the water level sensors are dry (the water level is too low).
  • Red - unit lockdown. The Levelor can fill for 20 - 60 minutes before disabling itself for 24 hours. This is to prevent a constant water flow in case of a pool leak or unit malfunction. Turning the power off and on again will reset this lockdown.
Try turning the unit off and on again. Does it start filling?
You may have to fill the pool with a hose until you get the water to the right level. After that the automatic filler should function correctly.

There is very little pressure that i can feel when i put my hand in front of the pumps in the pool, barely any air getting pushed out at all.

If the pump is not primed and is full of air, it usually does not blow much air or water into the pool. Check the pump's prefilter basket sump. There should be a clear cover. That should be full of air and should not have a significant amount of water in it.

Postby Guest » Wed 04 Mar, 2009 11:01

thank you so much, a couple of follow-up (albeit dumb) questions...

(1) what/where is the pump's prefilter basket pump? if i am guessing correctly, it is a little window that is on the top side of the pvc pipe right near the filter pump (?) It shows very little water in it, but the actual filter basket water level is REALLY low (and it won't stay full when i turn the pump on)

(2) my pool is actually above the spillover, so the pool "waterfalls" into the spillover... should I fill the pool so that it spills over and fills the spillover part? or just fill the spillover part, then start both the pool pump and the waterfall pump?

Thanks so much!
Larry
Pool Forums Admin

Postby Larry » Wed 04 Mar, 2009 11:35

the actual filter basket water level is REALLY low

This is what I meant. The pump basket must remain full of water when the pump is running.

pool-pump.gif
Swimming pool pump
pool-pump.gif (9.47 KiB) Viewed 23646 times

If you fill your pool until the spillover section is full then your pool will be at its ideal operating level.

Postby ihatepools (not really, just right now) » Wed 04 Mar, 2009 12:18

Larry, thank you so much, can't tell you how helpful this is... the people I bought the house from left me NO manuals, except for my Polaris, so I am flying totally blind here :(
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Wed 04 Mar, 2009 16:55

Actually, if the pool is overflowing into a "spillover", it might be a "vanishing edge" pool. The "spillover would not be filled in that case as it would have to have some capacity for water surge when people jump into the pool and displace the water. You might find the levelor sensor would be placed in the spillover section about a foot or so down from the top edge. THAT would be the correct level. Well if was built correctly :)
ihatepools

Postby ihatepools » Wed 04 Mar, 2009 19:49

i am trying to fill the waterfall pump basket but it will not stay filled... when i turn on the pump all the water goes out and it is bone dry again. what am i doing wrong?
Larry
Pool Forums Admin

Postby Larry » Thu 05 Mar, 2009 01:47

You may have to fill the suction pipe too. Keep the water running until the basket is full and overflowing.
Make sure the lid and o-ring are seated properly.
Sometimes the pump needs a few coaxings to get pumping.

I am assuming the pump is above pool level :?:

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”