Where should we discharge backwash?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
nmistry

Postby nmistry » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 00:36

Having inherited an in ground pool when we purchased our house, I have been frantically stumbling across the net trying to read and learn about the best practices for taking care of my pool. There have been lots of useful articles about how to backwash a pool, but for some reason there seems to be a lack of information with regards to selecting a location to discharge the backwash (DE / Sand /etc.).

Right now the pool is in "pretty good" shape, but the filter is desperately needing a backwash. Pressure is high, and Its not doing a good job of filtering anymore. The filter is a Nautilus FNS 48 D.E Filter.

Here are the items that i am a bit confused about:
* Can i discharge the backwash water onto my lawn, will it harm the grass / plants?
* Will the DE build up on the lawn?
* I have been cautioned that breathing DE should be avoided while replacing the DE . What happens when the backwashed DE dries on the lawn? ( i am concerned because we have a small lot )
* Do i need to be concerned if the backwash water runs into the street?
* In general, How forceful is the water that comes out of the hose?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks..
-N

poolcare101

Postby poolcare101 » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 03:06

Read DE powder buildup

* Can i discharge the backwash water onto my lawn, will it harm the grass / plants?

The DE doesn't harm the grass or plants, excessive chlorine or saltwater may. Alternatively you could backwash to a sewer outlet or clean-out.

* Will the DE build up on the lawn?

It can if you backwash frequently or the filter is an older type.

* Do i need to be concerned if the backwash water runs into the street?

Check local legislation.

* In general, How forceful is the water that comes out of the hose?

It comes out at the pump rating. This can be quite strong, but seems less through the large diameter backwash pipe.

Read this (old) discussion about Diatomaceous Earth Disposal at a home care forum.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”