PH level too low and I can't raise it

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Krieg
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Krieg » Mon 20 Apr, 2009 06:28

Hello, I am new here and we have a pool for only 7 months, so I am still learning. Spring is coming, and I am preparing our pool, I already succeed fighting the algae we got from the winter and now the water is crystal clear and I am proud of winning this battle. But I still have a problem, the PH level is 6.8 and I can't raise it, I already dumped tons of "PH-Plus" (that's how it is called here in Germany) and I see no changes in the level. I received some instructions from the previous owner of the house but I think he was doing it wrong the whole time, he only used "PH-Minus" when the PH level was too low, and as far as I understand, it is the other way around. He never used PH-Plus. He owned the house for only a couple of years and I am not sure if he never understood how this works or I am stupid and do not get it.

I've read the forum a bit and I see you measure more things than I do and you seem to have more products than we have here in Germany. At the moment I have a kit to measure PH (currently 6.8 ) and Chlorine (currently 3.0). Previous owner kit only measures PH.

Any ideas what I can do to raise the PH? Other than continue dumping PH-Plus.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 20 Apr, 2009 21:49

Have you tried measuring the Total Alkalinity (TA)? If the sample immediately turns red, it not only means the TA is zero, but that the pH is no higher than 4.5 which would be pretty bad, but could explain why you need to add so much pH Up.

If you just use pH Up, you will be raising not only the pH, but also the TA so may end up with the TA too high. Once you start measuring some pH, even 7.0, and the TA is too high, you can just aerate the water to get the pH higher the rest of the way.
Krieg
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Krieg » Thu 23 Apr, 2009 07:21

chem geek wrote:you can just aerate the water to get the pH higher the rest of the way.

This is working :shock:

I put our garden pump and pumped water out throwing it again in the pool, after 1 day the PH is now 7.0. :thumbup:

I know it is not yet perfect, but after so many days and different things I did, I am happy I see finally some change.

PS. I already ordered a test kit that measures TA

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”