Preventing stains

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
rejjierush

Preventing stains

Postby rejjierush » Sat 02 May, 2009 13:43

We've had so much rain lately that we've had to drain some of it out with a sump pump to prevent overflowing. The pool hasn't been opened this year yet so there is alot of algae in it.

My question is now that the water is lower, will the sides of the liner stain where the algae is no longer below water level? Should we try to wipe down the sides? We plan to open the pool in the next few weeks. This is our first pool.

picasam
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x32 gunite

Preventing stains

Postby picasam » Sat 02 May, 2009 14:05

I will try to wipe down the sides. The longer the algae stay there, the longer it will take you to clean it later. It will also prevent further stains. I'm not sure where you leave but the temperature is raising and I think is time to open the pool. I opened mine 4 weeks ago. My kids already used the pool several times. (I use a solar blanket to raise the water temperature). If you do not want to open the pool I will start shocking the pool and filtering the water. My best advice for you, if this is your first pool, it is to take a water example from your pool and go to you local pool company to test the water. They will tell you which products you need to get to open the pool. I have a pool for the last 5 years and I’m still taking examples to the pool place. It is cheaper than if you try to figure out. You will save a lot of money this way.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”