Loads of DE in my pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
jim
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 35000 gal

Loads of DE in my pool

Postby jim » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 12:33

Well I bought a vacuum setup and tried it out. Shortly after starting it up I began to loose pressure until it quit altogether. I notice on my valve (Praher SM20-2 MPV) several options: Filter, Reciec. Rinse, Waste, Closed, Backwash. Do I need to move my selection lever to waste when vacuuming?

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Loads of DE in my pool

Postby mr_clean » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 14:01

with having a DE filter you do not need to move the multiport valve to vac.

Did you prime the vac hose with water?
If you did not then your going to unprime your pump. So try this, Add water to pump so it's primed. Once you know it's fine add vac to pool like said before and either use your mouth and prime vac hose or put it in front of return line & do it. Once hose is 80% primed attach it to skimmer that has the full suction you chose by turning valve allowing only that one skimmer to work. This should allow you to vac...........

Know depending on how your pool equipment was designed with it's valve setup. You may also have to close a valve to shut-off main drain, as the 2-skimmers & the main drain all share the suction from the pump.

The only other thing that could cause a problem from the info givin would be a dirty DE filter but you said if I remember correct you had just cleaned it as a dirty DE filter would slowup suction when all valves are even correct.
jim
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Loads of DE in my pool

Postby jim » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 15:07

Wouldn't trying to vacuum cause whatever you're picking up to go directly to the filter and fill it up? Should I turn the lever to waste while vacuuming?
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Loads of DE in my pool

Postby mr_clean » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 15:28

you have a pump basket or should in your pump pot that will catch debris.
always before vacing, open this up (I hope you do anyways) & remove debris before starting as if full will slow suction down. This should be done 1-2 times a week depending on how many debris you have around your yard.

even if not vacing pool this should be done as when your pool has slow suction it will eat your chemicals up faster.
jim
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Loads of DE in my pool

Postby jim » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 18:14

No the basket was clean and empty. The lack of vacuum might be that the hose wasn't 80% primed. My question is still, isn't when I am vacuuming, the trash going straight to the filter? Shouldn't it go out the waste?
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Loads of DE in my pool

Postby mr_clean » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 18:49

not with a DE filter only a sand filter.

a sand filter if not vacuumed in waste will fill up fast with debris and slow down suction as their the low end of the scale for filters.

a DE does not need this, just wait until pressure rises & then backwash, you should be able to vac weekly and only have to backwash every 90-120 days.

Now if your filter is undersized for your pool you would need to backwash more often.

the key is to only backwash when needed so you only have to pull apart filter once a year to clean. If you backwash to often then to much DE buildsup inside filter & can crush grids/crack manifold.

This is a plus for you
jim
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Loads of DE in my pool

Postby jim » Sun 14 Jun, 2009 15:07

OK I bought the vacuum stuff and have been trying it. I seem to loose pressure and was told my hose was not sufficently filled with water. I filled the hose but still lost pressure. I have two hole skimmers and thought that perhaps I should close off one of my skimmers and tried that but the valves won't budge. I am afraid to put too much pressure trying to move them and don't know what to do. I have pictures of the two valves. Please check it out and tell me where I have gone wrong.
Thanks a million

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/ww29 ... 140177.jpg

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/ww29 ... 140178.jpg

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”