New Pool Owner Should I Drain Or Keep the Old Water

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
DOMSPOOL
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: I have vinyl pool with a hayward top sand filter.

Postby DOMSPOOL » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 21:50

I just purchase this house with an inground pool, it has a new Vinyl liner and the pool is about 5 years old give or take a little. This house was a forclosed home needless to say that old owners did not take care of the pool, its been sitting for about 10 months. The water is green with algae, there are tons of leaves in there along with pine cones and pine needles. My question is can I drain it or use the same water? Like I said the water is about 5 years old. If I drain how low should I go? What about the liner will it damage if i do that? Also do I have to be concerned about the hydrostatic relef plug?
All that said do I just keep the old water and use chemicals?
A pool and spa place is going to do it for 650 is that a good price? or can I save money and do it on my own?
Thanks DOM

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 22:03

DOMSPOOL wrote:I just purchase this house with an inground pool, it has a new Vinyl liner and the pool is about 5 years old give or take a little. This house was a forclosed home needless to say that old owners did not take care of the pool, its been sitting for about 10 months. The water is green with algae, there are tons of leaves in there along with pine cones and pine needles. My question is can I drain it or use the same water? Like I said the water is about 5 years old. If I drain how low should I go? What about the liner will it damage if i do that? Also do I have to be concerned about the hydrostatic relef plug?
All that said do I just keep the old water and use chemicals?
A pool and spa place is going to do it for 650 is that a good price? or can I save money and do it on my own?
Thanks DOM

Hi,

I would get the water tested to check the hardness level and CYA levels. If those are quite high then you will need to drain some of the water to lower them. If they aren't high, you can decide how much work you want to do on the pool yourself.

A pole and a net and you can get all the leaves and other debris out. If the equipment is in good working order you can turn it from green to clear with a bit of work. I like to do this type of thing myself, but that's me.

Start with a water test and you'll be better able to decide the next step from there.
DOMSPOOL
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: I have vinyl pool with a hayward top sand filter.

Postby DOMSPOOL » Sat 06 Jun, 2009 11:40

OK can you tell me where would i start after the water test.
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Sat 06 Jun, 2009 11:47

DOMSPOOL wrote:OK can you tell me where would i start after the water test.

If the harness and CYA levels are within range I'd start with scooping out the leaves and debris. Make sure the equipment is working and filter is clean.

You want to bring the pool to shock levels with chlorine. What that level is depends on your CYA level. So once you get the water tested, post the numbers and figure out how many gallons the pool is. From there we can give you what level to maintain the chlorine at until the pool is clear.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”