Air trapped in filter

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
jda
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21' Lomart, 1 hp motor, cartridge filter

Air trapped in filter

Postby jda » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 20:18

Hello, I have a pentair pump / filter. This is my first pool. When I brought the water about half way above the skimmer, I primed the pump, bled the air, and noticed that I was reading zero on the pressure gage. After several tries, I looked in the bottom of the skimmer and noticed that the plastic fitting on the bottom that hooks up to the return hose only had a opening of about 1/4 inch. I thought it was just a manufacturing problem and opened up the hole with a small file as close to "full open" as I could. This seemed to work; the pressure increased to about 7 psi, and I obtained a very good flow. Also, there was no longer signs of entrained air out the discharge into the pool. However, I noticed that I could bleed quite a bit of air when ever I opened the relief valve. I this normal. I was thinking of lower the flow rate slightly using a ball valve I installed on discharge side. I also installed a ball valve on the suction side as well. I made sure the suction fittings were tight. Please advise.

Thanks, Jeff

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”