New pool owner advice needed plz

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
heyharris
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16' above ground 52" deep. has a hayward sand filter

Postby heyharris » Sat 20 Jun, 2009 11:20

Hello everybody,
Me and the family decided to get a pool so we bought a used 16' above ground pool it came with a aftermarket hayward sand filter. Also the pool is 52" to the sides so i figure 48" deep. So i got the pool all setup and about to fill with water but am not sure about the chemical. i read through the pool school stuff and learned alot but didnt find really what i was looking for. i was hoping i could get some adivce on how to add chemicals. i tried to use the pool calculator but did not understand it all that much. What i am looking for a a basic runedown to get it safe. for example ( when full add bleach to get to 10 ppm then check ph to get to 7.4). the numbers are fictious i just added for example. Any help is greatly appreciated.
jim

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 20 Jun, 2009 15:02

The Pool Calculator just tells you dosages to get to the target levels you put in. So with your fresh water you would have a "0" Now level and would put in a target FC level of, say, "3" and then if you put in the size of you pool in gallons, the calculator will tell you how much chlorine you need to add. There's also a section on estimating pool volume. Is the 16' a diameter? If so, then putting that in along with 4' depth gives 6000 gallons. To raise the FC from 0 to 3 in 6000 gallons would take 37 fluid ounces of 6% bleach, for example.

Since your pool is starting out with fresh water, then you'll want some Cyanuric Acid (CYA) in the water along with chlorine. The easiest way to add both is to use Dichlor powder/granular chlorine. Note that initially the chlorine will get used up more quickly until the CYA builds up some. I would use that for a while until you have cumulatively added (over weeks) no more than 50 ppm FC or thereabouts. After that, you would use chlorinating liquid or bleach.

Follow the FC/CYA chart in the Pool School in order to prevent algae growth. And, of course, get yourself a good test kit (the Taylor K-2006 or the TF100).
RMS1
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby RMS1 » Mon 17 Aug, 2009 23:05

heyharris wrote:Hello everybody,
Me and the family decided to get a pool so we bought a used 16' above ground pool it came with a aftermarket hayward sand filter. Also the pool is 52" to the sides so i figure 48" deep. So i got the pool all setup and about to fill with water but am not sure about the chemical. i read through the pool school stuff and learned alot but didnt find really what i was looking for. i was hoping i could get some adivce on how to add chemicals. i tried to use the pool calculator but did not understand it all that much. What i am looking for a a basic runedown to get it safe. for example ( when full add bleach to get to 10 ppm then check ph to get to 7.4). the numbers are fictious i just added for example. Any help is greatly appreciated.
jim

A good site is http://www.clean-pool-and-spa.com. This tells the what, when, etc...about adding chemicals and how much you'll need. Written for the rest of us.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 00:09

But that link says NOTHING about the chlorine/CYA relationship needed to prevent algae growth. How hard is it to follow the Chlorine / CYA Chart in the Pool School.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”