Sand filter

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Inherited pool maintanence

Sand filter

Postby Inherited pool maintanence » Tue 23 Jun, 2009 15:40

I have somehow "inherited" the care of an elderly family member's pool. Have figured out the chemicals, backwashing, and vacuumming (sp?), but need help with knowing whether to change filter sand. There is quite a bit of small particulates on surface and under the surface despite daily cleaning. I wonder if the sand needs changing and how much sand should go in? The filter is a Pac-Fab Model PF-35 and I can't find any info on how much is needed to replace.

Swim Today
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Sand filter

Postby Swim Today » Wed 24 Jun, 2009 16:11

There where two models from Pac-Fab at the time the PF35 and the PF50. The 35 is a 18" tank and the 50 is a 22" tank in most cases when a company produces two tanks like this the smaller is 150lbs of the sand and the larger is 200lbs. It is never a bad idea to change the sand if you think it may be more then two seasons old. Just make sure you get the finer details of changing the sand if you have never done it before, as there are a few key things to do to avoid damage and ensure proper operation. Pretty much a bit more then take the old sand out and put new sand in. When you add the 150lbs of sand to the pf35 the sand should be just a few inches below the middle stand pipe. That is the level you want. You don't want it over this pipe and you don't want it more the a few inches from the top of it. Also with sand filters a good high concentrate water clairifier will help with all those small particles.
icutfc
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pac Fab PF-35

Postby icutfc » Thu 25 Jun, 2009 00:57

Inherited pool maintanence wrote:I have somehow "inherited" the care of an elderly family member's pool. Have figured out the chemicals, backwashing, and vacuumming (sp?), but need help with knowing whether to change filter sand. There is quite a bit of small particulates on surface and under the surface despite daily cleaning. I wonder if the sand needs changing and how much sand should go in? The filter is a Pac-Fab Model PF-35 and I can't find any info on how much is needed to replace.

déjà vu
I spent several hours cleaning and replacing the sand in that unit today. Hope this helps.

------> Specs Per Owners Manual <------

Pea Gravel
  • 40 lbs / 18.14 Kgms
  • 1/8" TO 1/4" DIA.
  • 3.17 mm TO 6.35 mm
Sand
  • 60-65 lbs / 27.22 - 29.48 Kgms
  • .018 TO .022 PARTICLE SIZE
  • .45 mm TO .55 mm PARTICLE SIZE
Filter Area
  • 1.8 SQ FT / 167 m2
Flow Rate
  • 35 GPM / 132 LITERS
TURNOVER IN (HOURS)
  • 6 Hrs.
    • 12,660 GALLONS / 47,918 LITERS
  • 8 Hrs.
    • 16,800 GALLONS / 71,158 LITERS
  • 10 Hrs.
    • 21,000 GALLONS / 79,485 LITERS
  • 12 Hrs.
    • 25,329 GALLONS / 95,836 LITERS

Pac Fab: is now Pentair
Link: http://www.pentairpool.com/index.htm
inherited pool maintanence

Sand filter

Postby inherited pool maintanence » Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:18

Thank you all very much for the info. A good tip to all those that have home pools and do their own maintanence would be make sure a "how to" binder is kept. Just in case someone needs to assume care of the pool. Dementia claimed the ability and probably the manual before anyone realized what was going on.
rbdeli
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10,000 gallon fiberglass, sta-rite 1.5HP Pump, Sand Filter.

Sand filter

Postby rbdeli » Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:38

Is there a thread in this forum that talks about changing the sand filter, where to buy sand, what kind, etc?

I have been noticing a bit of sand everyday at the bottom of my pool and remember seeing some information on this somewhere about troubleshooting where the sand is coming from? Is there a good place to get this information on this board or elsewhere?

Pool Test Kits
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Sand filter

Postby Denali » Fri 26 Jun, 2009 13:38

rbdeli wrote:Is there a thread in this forum that talks about changing the sand filter, where to buy sand, what kind, etc?

I have been noticing a bit of sand everyday at the bottom of my pool and remember seeing some information on this somewhere about troubleshooting where the sand is coming from? Is there a good place to get this information on this board or elsewhere?

Pool Test Kits

Hi,

Often the best place to check for info is on the company site that makes your sand filter. Usually you can download a manual for your particular filter. Here is a site that has some general info that may help. http://www.poolcenter.com/filter.htm

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”