Just moved in pool hasent been used in 2 years left un cover

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
mikedamufflr
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: above ground round 20 feet by 4 feet vinyl liner hayward variflow xl valve, swimpro high rate sand filter 1.0 spl 60 gpm pump

Postby mikedamufflr » Sat 15 Aug, 2009 19:26

just moved in house pull uncovered for at least a year. water was a nasty green color. I got the pump to filter and put some shock in the pool and some bleach and some stuff called flock it. I have got the levels up. the Ph level is around 7.2 the FAC is 0 the TA is 30 the CYA is 0 the TDS is 400 copper/iron is 0 and the phosphates are 0. i have gotten the water to like a real light green what should i be looking to do to raise levls and get the water clear. I have gotten most of the stuff off the bottom of the pool

RMS1
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby RMS1 » Mon 17 Aug, 2009 21:59

You'll want to keep your pH down to about 7.0, and raise your alk. to 80-100, and CA to about 50-70, then blast it again with chlorine. If it's a real nasty green, not a nice forest green, get the chlorine to 20-25ppm.

Backwash every day to ensure you're getting the algae out of the filter. Cartridge, clean it. DE, be sure to recoat the grids each time you backwash, sand =backwash.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:03

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”