DE Filter Problem

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Andy7317
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24' Vinyl AG with DEfilter

DE Filter Problem

Postby Andy7317 » Sun 16 Aug, 2009 18:46

Hello. I have a 24' AG vinyl pool with a DE filter. This year the pool was a little green when I opened it. I got that cleared up. My problem now appears to be the DE filter grids. I just bought new ones last year. When I add the DE filter through the skimmer it appears very little is coating the grids and it all enters the pool through the return line and just sits on the bottom of the pool. Other particles are also able to escape the grids. When I look at the grids it looks like there is a small amount coating the grids. Does anyone have any ideas on the problem? Does it look like I will need new grids again? Thanks for the input.

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

DE Filter Problem

Postby Denali » Sun 16 Aug, 2009 23:02

Andy7317 wrote:Hello. I have a 24' AG vinyl pool with a DE filter. This year the pool was a little green when I opened it. I got that cleared up. My problem now appears to be the DE filter grids. I just bought new ones last year. When I add the DE filter through the skimmer it appears very little is coating the grids and it all enters the pool through the return line and just sits on the bottom of the pool. Other particles are also able to escape the grids. When I look at the grids it looks like there is a small amount coating the grids. Does anyone have any ideas on the problem? Does it look like I will need new grids again? Thanks for the input.

Hi,

Look at the grids to see if there are any holes or tears in them. Check the manifold (the part the grids plug into) for cracks. Make sure the grids are seated correctly in the manifold. If you have a multiport valve for backwashing, check the gasket there to make sure it is intact and in place.

With the grids only a year old holes or tears aren't likely but possible.
RMS1
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

DE Filter Problem

Postby RMS1 » Mon 17 Aug, 2009 21:54

I've had some grids that were just a few weeks old and the tore, for some reason or another. Usually I'm trying too hard to get them into the manifold and they tear without my knowing. Check everything and everywhere for cracks or tears. also as above check any and all gaskets.

i know it's a pain when you go through the process of cleaning a DE filter, then you'll get DE in the pool.

http://clean-pool-and-spa.com/index.html

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”