What pool chemicals should not be stored together?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.

Postby Guest » Thu 12 Nov, 2009 15:23

I want to store some chemicals together in a utility box.

I know chlorine and muriatic acid do not mix but what other chemicals should not be stored together?

Thanks

BahamaPoolCleaner
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby BahamaPoolCleaner » Thu 12 Nov, 2009 17:44

I posted this. should have logged in i guess.

Ok I've been reading not to mix oxidizers with liquids is the main thing. I remember this...been 20yrs since I've worked with pool chemicals.

so if granular chlorine is an oxidizer I should keep it away from Muriatic acid. what about the dry acid? can that be kept in the same utility box as the granular chlorine?

Thanks

I would like to keep all chemicals in this box and the wet stuff like hose, pole, brush etc on the bed. I want to spray the utility box with some sort of rubber spray to make the bottom of the box more waterproof. I will keep this box a dry box.

These are the chemicals I want to keep in the utility box while I service my pools. I also will keep them in small buckets inside this box.

Chlorine Tablets (25lbs)
Calcium Hypochlorite 65% (25lbs)
Granular Chlorine (desert brand...10lbs)
Soda Ash
Dry Acid
and conditioner/stabilizer powder (10lbs)
D.E. Powder
Alkalinity increaser powder
Helen
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool is a lap pool. It is located at the back of my house and has a concrete surface. It has a water based paint and has a sand filter.

Postby Helen » Wed 18 Nov, 2009 22:42

Well, last night I've been reading a book and saw some guidelines with regards to handling of Swimming Pool Chemicals. I want to share this to you and hope this helps.

Liquid Chemicals, such as Sodium hypochlorite (bleach), if spilled, can leak into other containers or seep into cracks in the floor. Liquids, because of their properties, can create hazards not associated with solid or granular products and must be carefully handled.

KEEP YOUR POOL CHEMICALS DRY.

Avoid storing containers of liquids above containers of other incompatible substances.
Do not mix old chemicals with fresh chemicals even if they are the same type.
Do not allow rags, trash, debris or other materials to clutter hazardous material storage area. Keep combustible and flammable substances away.
Never mix pool chemicals outside of the swimming pool (unless specifically directed to)

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”