salt chlorinator

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
soup-spoon

salt chlorinator

Postby soup-spoon » Sun 24 Jan, 2010 19:52

Hi!
I have a problem!!!

I've just moved into a house with a pool, my housemates where shown how to maintain it but have forgotten (for the last year!) now I've moved in and the pool is constantly green!

It has a saltmaster bh4000s. but it never works (it says that there is no water flow) so I've tried EVERY valve on the system and that little red light never goes away... so I've been treating it with chlorine every night but although it gets rid of the algae it comes back after rain or a warm day (the pool reeks of chlorine) it also goes green after people swim in it (more then just 1 or 2 people) I've taken a sample in to a pool place they said to add 140g of chlorine in daily and 5 litres of pool acid. This worked for all of 3 days... but during those few days the pool was still cloudy and the bottom still slippery... (also I should add that I do have the pump on auto)

Its a 25,000 litre pool (thought I should add that...)

Help I'm out of options! What do I do?

Guru
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

salt chlorinator

Postby Guru » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 13:17

First off, unless a pool is perfect, it should run 24hr a day until it is. Second, if a pool "reeks" of chlorine, that means it's working and you probably need to add more. Chlorine is an oxidizer. You only smell it when it's gassing-off (oxidizing). This is one of the biggest msiconceptions with pools. Also, brush, brush, brush until the pool is perfect. Algae builds up a waxxy coating to protect it which needs to be brushed open before the chlorine can attack it. As far as the salt cell, how old is it? They have a limited life span, especially the earlier models.
"Well I don't have a brain. All it does is get in the way of my cat-like instincts." -m.s.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

salt chlorinator

Postby floridapooltech » Thu 29 Jul, 2010 09:02

you may have some calcium built up on the salt cell blades. Have you tried taking it off the plumbing and cleaning the blades with myriatic acid? If not this needs to be done pretty regularly. Also, when you do actually clean them, make sure you are only soaking them in acid no more than 15 minutes or so or as according to the mfg. instructions! Any longer and this will destroy the cell (melt).

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”