New home owner with pool who needs HELP!

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
monicalovesherpool
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have an inground concrete pool. It is my first and a dream come true. I don't know much about it and am hoping to learn.

Postby monicalovesherpool » Tue 20 Apr, 2010 18:41

Hi There!~

This is my first time owning a pool and I want to love it.
The previous owners left some water in the pool ( about 5 feet) and it is ugly and green and full of bugs.
I am not sure of the filter I have or pump or anything really.
I am not sure how to go about salvaging water. Also how can I see if my pump and filter work? Does the water need to be filled first?
should I skim and try to clean the water that is there before filling?
I am just a wreck and need some good advice.

Postby Guest » Sat 24 Apr, 2010 13:03

I'd suggest calling Family Leisure. We've always been happy getting our Pool Supplies from them and they are very helpful with answering questions. :wink:
harjun
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Polypool heat retaining system 10,000 gallons

Postby harjun » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 12:59

personally i was just vacuum all of that poolwater to waste as this will also vacuum the floor of the pool removing all muck stuck to the liner/floor of your pool
then you want to fill the whole pool up with water (costs about £60 of water for a 10,000 gallon pool) and then put a clarifier in the water. Then vacuum pool and net again 1 week after clarifier, then after vacuuming backwash for 2 minutes. Then rinse then top up with water and then treat the pool with chemicals and you basically have a ready to go pool.
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Tue 27 Apr, 2010 08:16

Monica, did you decide on what to do? I see you have a concrete inground. The walls may be stained if that water was sitting there for a long time. Since the level is so low I already I would just drain it and clean the walls. Use light acid mix if the walls are plaster. Make sure you release the hydrostatic valve sitting at the bottom once you empty the pool. It's necessary to relieve ground water pressure pushing up on your pool. Once the wall and floor brushing are done set the hydrostatic valve again and start filling with new water as soon as possible. Fill all the way up to the skimmer openings. Check pumps, and clean filter grids (if not sand), remove all plugs if any were installed while pool was not running and start system. Shock and balance water, keep the pump running for 48 hrs for circulation. It should be good to go by then. Good luck with your new pool!
amylynn624

Postby amylynn624 » Mon 24 May, 2010 15:08

I'm a new home owner as well and have had trouble with my pool as well. I had some friends who decided to help me one day when I was not there and take the tarp and leave bag off of the pool mid April. They accidently dumped alot of leaves in the deep end. I have been dragging a net along the bottom of the pool to remove all the debris and have shocked the pool, many, many times. As well as 2 bottles of algea cleaner and a bottle of clarifier and 20lbs of sodium carbinate. My pool is still green. I have a sand filter, the pump is on 24/7, and have backwashed the filter a couple of times a day. I have taken a sample of the water into a pool place and have had a professinal pool company come (the checked the pump and also added shock on day it was raining) My pool is still green. Any suggestions as to what to do next?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 24 May, 2010 15:19

Your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level in your pool may be high and a partial drain/refill may be in order. Also, read Defeating Algae. Shocking is not a one-time process, but having a sustained high level of Free Chlorine (FC) relative to the CYA level. You need a good test kit to do that, such as the Taylor K-2006 you can get here or the TF-100 you can get here with the latter kit having more volume of reagents so is close to comparably priced per test.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”