massive amounts of CYA

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
doubled

massive amounts of CYA

Postby doubled » Sat 24 Apr, 2010 11:19

Hi Guys,

I am a new pool owner, never had one before so I'm trying to learn as fast as I can....the place I bought came with a 28k gal pool with CYA levels off the charts. My kit won't even register it, if I dilute the pool water 4x with reverse osmosis water I get a reading of 80ppm on the CYA. Assuming the dilution works the way I think it does, that puts me at 320ppm on the CYA.
I know the accepted reaction here is to drain the pool.

We live in Phoenix, AZ and I've been told it is dangerous to fully drain the pool this time of year due to chances of damaging the plaster....

Doing a series of 20% drains would be prohibitively expensive as they don't give water away here in the desert.

In the Pool School it looks to be recommending something like 32ppm of FC. That doesn't really sound like it is a good solution...

I was wondering if I can abandon chlorine and switch to a brominated pool for the next 8 months until the weather settles and then I can drain it....

Any thoughts are appreciated.

lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

massive amounts of CYA

Postby lbridges » Sat 24 Apr, 2010 16:45

There are companies in Az and CA that bring a truck out to he house with a series of large RO devices on board - they pull water from the pool, filter it, then return it.

I have heard good things about them, but have no idea what it costs.
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

massive amounts of CYA

Postby Xclusive » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 13:44

lbridges wrote:There are companies in Az and CA that bring a truck out to he house with a series of large RO devices on board - they pull water from the pool, filter it, then return it.

I have heard good things about them, but have no idea what it costs.

Filtering the water and putting it back in will not reduce the amount of CYA. He will need to drain and add fresh water
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

massive amounts of CYA

Postby lbridges » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 14:12

Xclusive wrote:Filtering the water and putting it back in will not reduce the amount of CYA. He will need to drain and add fresh water

Well, I can't speak from experience, but there are sites like TFP that seem to support such a claim, and there are web reports, etc. Such as http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... r0828.html
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

massive amounts of CYA

Postby Xclusive » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 14:50

lbridges wrote:
Xclusive wrote:Filtering the water and putting it back in will not reduce the amount of CYA. He will need to drain and add fresh water

Well, I can't speak from experience, but there are sites like TFP that seem to support such a claim, and there are web reports, etc. Such as http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... r0828.html

Just read it thanks. Interesting. Never seen anything like that in my area. I apologize for contradicting you.
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

massive amounts of CYA

Postby lbridges » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 16:25

No need to apologize, but thanks for the most kind offer. I don't think anyone east of Arizona does the whole suite of filters...which means anyone in your area (or mine) probably isn't so equipped.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”